sharing my electret condensor mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigugly

Here is a mic whose schematic will be familiar to most. It is a Scheops circuit without the DC-DC convertor. I adapted it to use a Transound 14mm capsule and designed a compact PCB for use as a pencil condenser mic. I also have a Mouser project saved for this. If any body wants the gerber files just shoot me a PM.

Attachments

• ec1 schem.gif
    ec1 schem.gif
    45.7 KB · Views: 150
Sorry, that wasn't clear, which of the 14mm capsules, and is there a cheap donor body you had in mind?

I designed this mod for some real cheap CAD electret mics I have. I think I paid 60 bucks for a pair @ Guitar Center. The capsules I have for it are Transound TSB-1460A http://jlielectronics.com/transsound/electrets/tsb-1460a.htm

I haven't built this yet. If anyone is interested in being an alpha tester and wants to take on this project I'll send them capsule to get started

Are they the CAD C9's or the ICM417? Both are back-electrets, but with different capsules. Any reason why you chose the back-electret over a externally polarized capsule? You can't really beat the price, though. If I didn't already have ten mics to build, I would take you up your offer.

CAD CM217 are the ones I have. I never got around to even getting PCBs made. It wasn't high on my priorities list. The reason for using electret capsules was that they are cheap and I wanted to see if I could improve and the stock 6mm capsule.

manulaudic said:
Seems like a very nice design and very clear.
I'd love to give it a try, do you have PCBS printed?

Manu

sorry, I never did get around to getting PCBs made for this. I did get an estimate from Futurlec for about $70 for 10. btw, if anyone gets these made I highly recommend that the PCBs be 1/32 inch (.8mm) thick. they should fit into some of the smaller donor mic bodies easier. I've got the gerber files for this if somebody wants them.

There's no such thing as a silly question.Don't ever be afraid to ask questions around here. Just google search it first... Saves people from repeating themselves to the point of insanity:).

-James-

manulaudic said:
How would this design performs with a large Capsule, say CK12 type?

Manu

This circuit, as an amplifier, works just fine fine with a LDC. Most of the Chinese mics use a variation of this. What is missing is a DC-DC converter to provide a polarizing voltage to the capsule. I did design a DC-DC converter board that goes with this. I had plans to adapt this circuit to my various needs. This daughter board attaches to the underside of the main board at two points and provides around 60VDC for polarizing a LDC. If you look at the schematic you will see pin J4 which is the power take off for the DC-DC converter and pin J5 which ties the converter daughter board ground to the main board ground. This daughter board is all SMD.

That is cool. Only a few small changes to the circuit to make it work with LDC's. Maybe people would want a modular sytem they could DIY with both SDC and LDC "heads." Sounds versatile. DIY Colette anyone?

Latest posts

Back