Gyraf G7 body?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazmcc

Hey guys, any advice on a good body for a G7 build? I wanted an EQU47 from the White Market but they're sold out and I need something soon. I would love to make my own but I'm building it for a college assignment and don't have the time (so much work to catch up on already!!)

I'd prefer unbranded so that it doesn't look like I've just bought a pre-manufactured mic but I guess I can paint it myself if need be.

I want something fairly good quality without breaking the bank, any help would be much appreciated!

Are you going to use the PCB's from Gustav?

The choice are limited by the size of the PCB. I bought a V69 and it was too small, the apex 460 is also a bit too small. If you go p2p, you need ot be ablt to fit ht etube.

I'm also trying to source a good capsule, was looking into Tim Campbell's, "Dale" M7 and also Thiersch Blue Line but all 3 have long wait times.

As my build is for a college project I need to find both a body and capsule that are readily available without compromising the build quality too much!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think most people use a brass or copper pipe cut to the proper length with and end cap for the connector and use a dremel to cut out the section where the capsule goes.  There should be some links to mcmaster carr for the mesh,  pipe and the end cap.

Or you could use DIYmic.com's a5500mp body and you get a nice power supply case as well.
http://www.diymic.com/

-Casey

Thanks Casey, I'd love to go down the DIY route but I'm afraid I don't have the time to do it!

The A5500MP is out of stock but luckily I already have all the components and case to build a PSU so I can go ahead with the A5500.

Thanks for your help! I'd seen that page before but had completely forgotten about it!!!

Any ideas on capsules? Preferably M7?

Hi

I am in a similar situation to yourself and was looking to buy either Tim Campbell's C12 or the Thiersch Blue Line capsule, how long is the wait for those capusles? You could try this site for the capsules http://microphone-parts.com/

Note the size of Gustav's PCB's. I don't recall the physical dimensions of the Aurycle mic. You could get a headbasket from Dave thomas (aamicrophones) and use a brass tube.  For the rails, I've seen all sorts of ideas, from very long screws, to door handles from IKEA.

There are a lot of G7 threads, peruse them and you;ll get a lot of ideas for materials. I have a couple sets of pcb's (actually did a groupbuy of them when Gustav wasn't making them) but frankly, having to machine a body is holding me back.

The Nady TCM1050 and it's look-alikes are good canidates. The branding is easily removed with rubbing alcohol. The MXL R144 looks about right, as well. It would require filling the engravings on the body and a repaint. The capsule mounting on that mic might prove troublesome as it's a ribbon mic, but at $69 it may be worth the work. Also, no power supply with the ribbon. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice! I'd love to build my own body eventually, but due to it being for a college project and to meet a deadline I have to buy instead just now. I'll look into your suggestions! I had spent a while browsing threads on here and everything was either sold out or not quite what I was looking for!

Turntable - thanks for the tip, I'd already seen that site and am thinking about the RK7 capsule. Tim Campbell hasn't got back to me yet but from what I read on here he's snowed under with orders so I think the wait will be quite long, at the very least 8 weeks, probably a lot longer. Thiersch got back to me today and said I could have a Blue Line capsule within 3 weeks so now it's decision time - RK7 capsule at $100 or Thiersch at approx 3 times the price!!!

Bluejinn - you were right about your uncertainty about the A5500 dimensions - it's too short for the PCB! Having trouble finding a replacement piece of tubing due to the diameter of the tubing! Back to square one!!!

UPDATE - managed to find some tubing to use with the A5500. As the original tubing used is an uncommon diameter in Europe (1 7/8") I had real problems sourcing some, but found stockists of car exhaust tubing in the UK actually kept that exact size - hope this helps if anyone else goes down this route!

Latest posts

Back