new black market is boring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.oelberg

I think the new black market took away all the charm of the place, now I don't look there anymore, too slow interface, too proffessional selling platform... don't like it anymore

nicholas

e.oelberg said:
I think the new black market took away all the charm of the place, now I don't look there anymore, too slow interface, too proffessional selling platform... don't like it anymore

+1!

There have been quite a few topics about this. Sad that all of them have been closed.
I don't think there has been a real discussion about it.

What about a poll?

Best,
Carsten

+3

How about having an old black market thread along with the current one, so members can choose which they want to use?
I've tried to keep an open mind about the new 'auction' style but I would much rather have the old black market back.

I agree I hardly go there and don't post , I think it could be tweaked , I'd be happy to pay a modest fee
when items have sold from one listing , but I think the new version is easier for Ethan to manage
and if everyone can't agree on certain things that's what it came to . probably some people are happy about that .

+5 ...but I guess that's what you get if there're members who don't respect the rules...

e.oelberg said:

nicholas

last time there was a topic like this the thread got deleted all of the sudden, no explanation. So long for civilized forum politics.  :(

lock the threads if you absolutely must, but deleting stuff just gets people confused and left wondering what the heck happened. It's not like there was a shit storm or anything.

I like the old market too...a friendly place to buy/sell odds and ends. The new layout is sterile.
I vote for the old one reinstated...

- and...will there ever be Guinness's again? hmm?

Want to add a Guiness? Just copy & paste this workaround into your post.

Code:
[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/skylargray/GreatGuinness_super_small.png[/IMG]

GreatGuinness_super_small.png

I've found that I hardly ever look in there anymore either, and I used to look on a daily basis. 

I don't know that I would describe it as boring - more like too impersonal.  In the old BM it felt as if I were walking into a room full of familiar faces and the seller was right there in front of  you  and communications were easily followed.  Now it feels as if you are the lone person in some long forgotten big empty room full of glass cases looking at items.  The seller somehow feels absent.

I've had the feeling for quite a while that BM browsing was decreasing and from the looks of this thread it seems to be true.  This does not feel like a good thing to have so many people ignoring the BM.  I don't mind paying for the listing and I think we could have the old format and still pay and things be ok.  When you couple paying for listing and the lag or absence of sell because of migration . . - well, put this way - I have several items I need to sell off soon and have already been worrying that it may take forever to sell even though I plan to price for quicker sell.  And this thread confirms my previous worries.

I'm still a little surprised about the charging for Wanted ads, even though I wasn't a fan for charging normal ads either.

I think it should be free and use other resources to make money from this site, I mean if you look at the total amount of ads in there now as compared to when it was free, I think it has diminished.

Is Ethan using an actual programmer to maintain this site or is he doing it himself?

Kingston said:
last time there was a topic like this the thread got deleted all of the sudden, no explanation. So long for civilized forum politics.  :(

VERY unusual for threads to be deleted unless flowing over with personal attacks - I'm pretty sure that no moderator would delete without a very good reason. This forum builds on a scary background - the RO history in the beginning of times was not nice.

Usually we just move the thread into mod's conference room (yes, we have that) - but I don't see anything related in there. Also, moderation history shows no sign of this?? Could be a software glitch - or that the said posts are still flowing freely in some obscure thread..

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
VERY unusual for threads to be deleted unless flowing over with personal attacks - I'm pretty sure that no moderator would delete without a very good reason. This forum builds on a scary background - the RO history in the beginning of times was not nice.

That's why I thought it was especially strange.

There was no personal attacks. The thread was started by canidoit if I recall correctly and less than 10 members had posted there. No personal attacks, just the usual "the new black market sucks (dogs bollocks), please bring the old one back".

I frequent here a lot even though I don't post all that often. It was the only thread to disappear for years...

I can confirm about this disappearing thread.
I also added a reply and about half an hour later the entire thread was gone...

BTW, I miss the 'clearout-sales' for small cheap parts. I bought a lot of things like transformers, meters, knobs, etc. in the previous BM. I don't see them showing up anymore. Or at least not that often.

By no means I want to be disrespectful against the moderators here, but it would be nice to have a solution that's more productively for the 'DIY-community'.

Latest posts

Back