RK7 Capsule - anyone used one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazmcc

Hi guys, looking for a capsule for a G7 mic build. Was initially looking for a Tim Campbell, "Dale" M7 or a Thiersch Blue Line but I've had to rule them out due to waiting time (it's for a college project and the dealine is fast approaching!)

Has anyone on here used the RK7 capsule from www.microphone-parts.com? (http://microphone-parts.com/rk7-microphone-capsule/)

I'm looking for a good quality capsule (my project is to build a microphone and then compare quality vs cost against other mics and I'd prefer it to be competitive at least!!!) so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Barry

I've tried Tim's capsule, the RK12 and the RK47 in my G7.

Have a look in my thread for a recording with the RK12 and Tim's. At first I wasn't sure about Tim's because it was so different to every other mic I had ever used. After spending some time in the studio with it, it really is a fantastic capsule. My ears were so used to hyped highs and scooped mids but I love this mic now, especially how well it takes to EQ.

The CK12 sounds very warm and intimate to me with plenty of air and sparkle. I think also has a low end bump.

The RK47 is another unique capsule. It sounds like the highs have rolled off and it has a good amount of mid range grit. Not always the greatest for rock vocals but superb for more classical vocalists.

I haven't tried the RK7 but I would assume it would be somewhat similar to the RK47.

Great, thanks. I'm definitely wanting to get one of Tim's capsules, but as my build is for a college project and to meet a deadline I've had to rule it out for now. Now to decide between an RK& capsule or a Thiersch Blue Line at 3 times the price!!!

I have an RK-7 capsule that I initially got to put in my MK47 build. It's affordable and sounds OK. I think mine has a kind of 6K bump in the response that isn't working for me in my circuit.
Basically, I'm saving for a Thiersch right now.

Dave

Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to buy the RK7 then almost immediately wished I'd got a Thiersch instead, so I ended up getting that too! Now to figure out a way to pay the invoice when it arrives...!!!

Back