studio monitor speaker plans and kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andybot

Hi,
i was wondering if anyone had built the monitor kit designed by Vance Dickinson and how good the final monitors are? Im also looking for any plans that my be available for good quality monitor speakers.....i have been searching but not coming up with much.

Im presently using alesis ra100 amp with monitor one speakers and its time to change.
Thx

I built a pair of SR71 two years ago, they're great and simple to build - still my main monitors for everything. Besides that, Troels Gravesen did some great monitor designs, but more expensive than the SR71 because of the Scanspeak drivers: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Studio101.htm

Just a quick question, is it typical to order the cones and cross-overs and then build your own cabinet for the DIY monitors?  I've got to be honest, I'd rather wind my own air coils and design a crossover from scratch than have to cut a piece of wood accurately (especially the circular holes). 

Andybot said:
i was wondering if anyone had built the monitor kit designed by Vance Dickinson and how good the final monitors are?

You must be referring to Vance Dickason who wrote The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. Can you link to the kit you're referring to?

I also built a Zaph design - the Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG "all metal" but built the cabinets from scratch. They're great, but I think I might prefer them closed box.

Hey millzners - buy a Jasper circle jig and an appropriate router. Makes cutting holes a breeze.

Latest posts

Back