Interesting small electret capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks approximately like the capsule from an Audio-Technica Pro37R. I don't mind that mic, but it's certainly not my favorite SDC. I modded mine (I have two) with a transformerless output (just a one-transistor emitter follower sort of thing) and it really opened up the sound and cleaned it up.

-Dale

> Anybody familiar with this capsule?

A very similar capsule was used in many 1970s low-price TEAC microphones. I always thought mine sounded VERY good for $25 mikes. Smooth, adequate output. Low overload: OK on grand piano but will clip on Fender amp or in the bell of a sax.

Odd that this seems to be the only site that has it today. I wonder if they bought too many back in the 1980s and are still trying to unload them.

I may be confused on the price. If you can buy the capsule for about $10US, I'd say it is worth playing around with.

Note that this capsule has the head-amp inside. Ready to go with a 1K unbalanced output, just add battery and cap. Yeah, it will drive a common XLR mike input too. I just do not recall if it is possible to remove the built-in head amp and grab the backplate to feed your own headamp.

Latest posts

Back