Ampex MM1100 - Variable Speed Wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawsonaudio

My capstan motor isn't running at the moment on my mm1100.  I took the sides off the machine and noticed that the wires going to the variable speed plug came loose.  When I bought the machine, I noticed they were soldered to the connector, but coming loose.  I left them the way they were as it didn't cause any problems with the machine.  I since have had to rebuild my power supply and in moving all the cabling around inside the machine to clean things up, those cables came disconnected from the plug.  I read an old post here http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2993.20 that someone else had this problem.

There are 2 pairs of cables going to the plug coming off the main mda wiring harness.  There is a black and white wire in each of the 2 cables.  I've looked at the manual for my machine, but it only talk about a feed and return signal.  Any idea which wires go where to get the capstan working again?  I think that the 2 black wires were connected, but not sure on that.

I posted this over at the ampex list, but they are down due to the east coast storms I believe.

Thanks,
Nate Dawson

Well, my capstan now functions thanks to Goreski over at AnalogRules.com. 

White to White (which carries the signal) and black to black (which serves as a ground and is connected to the ground wire inside the cable)

Nate

Latest posts

Back