Hall effect sensor help...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rader Ranch

This is from my dad's rain gauge, and I've check all 32 pages at Mouser, and other places as well, but have yet to find any kind of hall effect sensor that looks like this used to (before I broke it getting it apart). As you can hopefully tell from what's left, it really just looked like a little fuse with a 100 ohm resistor in front of it, but I believe the metal bits inside would only touch when passing by the magnet. Rainwise wants $175+ to send dad a new rain bucket assembly, but hell, it's really just these two parts plus the little magnet and plastic rain bucket!

Maybe I can use something else as a trigger for the magnet, since this has to be some kind of a simple counter only, that lets the weather station brain know when there's been enough rain to make the bucket tip...but having no talent for electronics, I sure think I'd have a better shot at making it work again if I could find the same part.

Any help identifying/finding the sensor trigger/counter/whatever-you-want-to-call-it part much appreciated, and sorry for the non-audio question.

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 26
Hi,

it's the reed switch.

For example:

http://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEDER-electronic/KSK-1A80-1520/?qs=Vo7e0yZOYdHS%2fMMYH7WCWrLePFAJKl2E

Regards,
Milan

hall effect sensors look like transistors with both sides shaved flat, this way they can sit in between som magnetic material of sorts,

Hall-Effect is too 20th-century for a rain gauge.

As Milan says: Dat's a reed-switch, good 19th-century technology. (Yeah, that type reed switch is early/mid 20th century work, but the concept is older.)

Back