DIY Clean and high gain 500 series pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure, but you could just get one of the classic api pcbs and build a more hi-fi version, jensen transfomers, 990 opamp, etc, basically a Hardy.

I'm working on 500 series pga2500 pre. It should be (almost) as clean as it gets. However I have no clue about when I'll finish the project cause I've been having pretty bad luck all way long (yesterday I've fried my uC and I can't find it at any of my usual distributors).

pic: (the extra space is for fricking big film caps)
2012-07-04%20at%2010-43.png.jpeg

Iva, There is definitely interest around here. I'm sure the ideal design will appear eventually. But the time consumption of prototyping / R&D seems to delay most projects.

In this thread Tim Payne (sws) mentions doing a THAT-based design. He's currently doing a software plugin for Reaper so it's surely been backburnered. And Rodney (gemeni86) has a THAT/ Rane MS-1-alike done. I've laid out both a supergreen, and Hardy M2 in 500 series format but I can't get around to prototyping them / revising them for production because I'm currently in stompbox design mode which will probably take up the rest of my free time for 2012.

Others are surely silently working on similar things so I'm positive something will appear soon...

I will be launching a transformerless micpre and a four band fully parametric eq in about couple of weeks. These are really as clean as they get. Stay tuned.

sahib said:
I will be launching a transformerless micpre and a four band fully parametric eq in about couple of weeks. These are really as clean as they get. Stay tuned.
Hi Sahib,

Will there be enough gain for a ribbon mic? The usual clean ribbon pres are about 75-80db gain.

Latest posts

Back