ProTools Help!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

So im working on a project, things are sounding awesome.  I go to bounce to disk and i get HORRIBLE digital distortion. (none of my tracks are NEAR clipping and neither is the mix bus) so i remove some plugins... same thing... turn levels down... same thing... i remove all my hardware inserts and the problem goes away (UH-OH!)... I put one insert back in, and its fine... as soon as i put 2 or more its hell on earth.  The analog units arent distorting and it sounds fine when mixing.  So for grins n giggles, i tried recording the mix as another stereo track, and its fine.  (then tried bouncing just that stereo track and no problems either)  Any thoughts? i gotta get 6 tracks out by tonight and id prefer not to have to record to a new stereo pair if possible (well... that and its the principle of the whole things) it worked a few days ago no problems.  the only thing thats changed is the monitor im using in the other room.  I also noticed that my input monitoring when in low latency mode isn't working now either.  But i can live without that for right now.

I tried opening another session same bit/sample rate(24/48), same problem.  I then opened a 16/44.1 session, and NO problems.  ARGH!

what version pro tools? fwiw I never bounce to disk as I think it sounds booty. I know that doesn't help you but you found a work around already. Worry about the what and why later in the mean time finish mixing and print tracks to another stereo pair. It consumes time but will save time in the long run as you won't spend all your time trying to fix a problem that appears software related

try and create a new BLANK session at the sample rate the project you are working at is.
import session data or EVERYTHING from the session you are mixing.
see if it helps
I had something similar with session not loading anymore 2h before the client comes in for the final listening session.
plugs were causing it, new session solved the problem.

I hope this helps.
Mattia.

No good for the new session trick. Thanks though, I also tried changing the clock source (since i usually use my apogee as the master clock) that had no effect either.  So strange that it would do this only when inserts are being used and only on BTD.  Guess im gonna have to get cracking on the bounce to track. :(  FWIW i noticed i all of a sudden have like 56 outputs in my I/O.... wondering if something may have been changed when I opened someone else's session the other day.  I smell another headache commin on.

Just tried changing the outputs to 5/6 instead of 1/2 and same issue.... im gonna try and trash my prefs, and see if anything happens, if not, i gotta start bouncing... got a lot of stuff to FTP up tonight.

I have had I/O problems on my system after opening a project started on another system.
Open a project that you know you created with the proper I/O settings and go to your I/O setup and export the settings. Then import them into the project you are having the I/O discrepancies in.

Maybe this will help
Dave

Bouncing is real time anyway, so rerecording to a new track in the session shouldn't be
a huge set back.you can punch in instead of starting from the top when you need to fix something : )

Hey I had this happen to me!!! Total digital distortion with hardware inserts. If I recall, it was a clocking issue. I have two interfaces and the second was reverting to internal clock. This also made 6101 errors happen and bouncing anything was impossible.

Running pt10HD, and it sounded like a clocking thing to me from the beginning, but i only have the apogee as the clock, and the i/o 16x16 analog interface.  Rig, how did you resolve it?  Does it make sense that this DOESNT happen when mixing?

im at the latest "greatest" actually, now that I think about it, it DID start after I installed the 10.0.2 or whatever the last update was.

sr1200 said:
Running pt10HD, and it sounded like a clocking thing to me from the beginning, but i only have the apogee as the clock, and the i/o 16x16 analog interface.  Rig, how did you resolve it?  Does it make sense that this DOESNT happen when mixing?

Hey sr1200,
please tell me more,

- Which version of Pro Tools? cs2 or cs3 etc etc?
- and  OSX version?

and please try this,

- download this avid tech folder
http://secure.digidesign.com/services/avid/kb/downloads.cfm?digiArticleId=25974&localeCode=en
- but before use mac os x disc utility and repair your HHD permissions!
- reboot your mac [ thought you're on mac?! ]
- open avid tech folder
- use Tech Support Utility->Mac OS X->Tech Support Utility v2.command
- quit terminal
- reboot your computer
- use again  Mac os x disc utility and repair your HHD permissions!
- reboot your mac
and open your session!

tell us what's happen then...
cheers

You know I am really trying to remember exactly what I did. I know for a fact that I had to go into my AudioFire Control panel and make sure External clock was selected (Cause my AudioFire gets clock from my Lucid.) It was weird because I thought for sure external clock was always selected but I had noticed that sometimes it would default back to internal clock, and I think that would cause problems with the Aggregate Device.

I JUST REMEMBERED SOMETHING THOUGH!!!

I remember I had to stop using my Lacie RAID drive. I bet that was really the fix, and maybe my memory is not so good. Do you have any RAID devices in your system? I remember that fixing lots of things.

CS2/3? i was unaware Adobe bought Avid...  ???
Its Protools HD 10.2.0 (just verified that)  and running snow leopard... i think 10.6.8 i always mix up the last 2 numbers.
machine has a quad core HT processor with 16 gigs of Ram and 4 HD's installed also has a UAD2 Quad installed with the Avid Native card.

I will try the disk util trick tonight.  I have done that before, but not recently.

EDIT:  u posted before i posted... no raid drives and the only "NEW" things i have is some new plugs (the Komplete 8 package) and a new monitor.  and Komplete is not being used on these sessions.

cs= customer support :)

Did you download Avid NativeCardFlasher? if not please read what they say here;
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/en429831?retURL=%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2Ftroubleshooting%2Fen429831%3Fpopup%3Dtrue&popup=true

if you can't open the session please just send me the .ptx file not audio files just the session file! I can try to find the problem!
second option is try to send me avid Log. file if you can...

I think that it is the HDN firmware problem but I'm not sure :)
cheers,

sr1200 said:
CS2/3? i was unaware Adobe bought Avid...  ???
Its Protools HD 10.2.0 (just verified that)  and running snow leopard... i think 10.6.8 i always mix up the last 2 numbers.
machine has a quad core HT processor with 16 gigs of Ram and 4 HD's installed also has a UAD2 Quad installed with the Avid Native card.

I will try the disk util trick tonight.  I have done that before, but not recently.

EDIT:  u posted before i posted... no raid drives and the only "NEW" things i have is some new plugs (the Komplete 8 package) and a new monitor.  and Komplete is not being used on these sessions.

The firmware was updated using the flasher with the 10.2 release.  Never had a firmware issue with it.  Theres no problem with the session, ive been through that a million times and know my way around it.  Just really strange and only happens on BTD.

Is it even possible to roll back firmware and still have the software function properly (or would you get the "you need up update your firmware for this to work" message?

sr1200 said:
so i remove some plugins... same thing...

which plug-ins you are using? some Waves plug-ins had this kind bugs [digital distortion] that I know...

sr1200 said:
Is it even possible to roll back firmware and still have the software function properly (or would you get the "you need up update your firmware for this to work" message?

yes, it will ask you this question...
try this way;
Open this session, simply shift-click instead of just clicking it [This will make all the plugins deactivated] and bounce again... or maybe you already tried that way...
cheers

Back