advice for preventing downloads

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warpie

I'm not sure if that's the right place to post but if you can give me any advice would really help.

I'm copying an email I got today from one of the bands I worked recently. We did their last album together.
Being an engineer, I'm not sure what to advice them.
An easy answer would be 'welcome to the music industry' but I'm looking for something more helpful :)

Hi

Could you advise us as to what action is available to us to stop download sites giving away (album title). I've added the links to the sites we've come across so far.They appear to be file sharing sites, not fee paying sites such as Spotify. The worrying thing is that if the first site is accurate they've had thousands of downloads of the album. Any advice on what steps we can take to stop them doing this will be very helpful.

link

link

link

link

link

Many thanks,

Rich.

well you can look at it two ways, one way is that it is free promo and that if people like it, they can purchase a higher quality version from the band, or you can report it to the parent site,  and they will remove it.

Sad thing is....alot of kids could care less about whether it's an MP3 at 320kbps or a WAV at 1250kbps. The mp3 at 320 still sounds resonable enough to the average listener.

How to stop it?? 

If there was a way to stop it, the music industry would be pretty different!  I'd say their best bet is to put their own high quality version with all the proper ID tags so that people can find them if they like the music?  Maybe put a comment on the threads where their music is with a link on where to buy to support the band?

If it's a reputable site (youtube, soundcloud, tumblr, facebook or the like), they will have a means for right holders to submit a claim to have the content removed.

If it's somebody's personal site, you can try a whois to see where it's hosted. Send them a message to have it removed.

If it's hosted by a shady provider or torrent site, I'd focus efforts elsewhere.

thanks guys, I kind of new I'll get this sort of response.
I just wanted to see if anything has changed recently and if there's any new law covering artsists (sounds like science fiction I know).

Thanks
Michael

Latest posts

Back