Stromberg Carlson AU-58. It lives!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usekgb

I've had this Stromberg Carlson AU-58 sitting around for years, just waiting for something to be done with it.  I decided to re-wire the microphone input with a 1/4" jack for guitar and see what it sounded like with no mods at all.  Well, it rocks!  6AU6 input stage, 12AU7 make-up gain after the EQ circuit, a 12AU7 phase splitter, and two push-pull 6L6's at the output.  I replaced the original power cord with a 3-prong plug, and added a 1/4" speaker jack on the back.  I also had to replace the volume and bass pots, as they were completely seized.  I'll see if I can get a schematic scanned later today.

Cheers,
Zach

Attachments

• Stromberg Carlson AU-58.JPG
    Stromberg Carlson AU-58.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 55
I'm in the middle of a mixing session right now.  I threw this together while taking a break from mixing.  I'll see what I can do in the next few days.

Cheers,
Zach

Wow.  This thing got really back burnered!  I pulled it back out this week to use as a bass amp for a session I am playing on this weekend.  My Fender '62 American Vintage P-bass -> amp -> Ampeg 4x10 cab sounds amazing!  The band is an alt-country/rock band, and this setup fits the style perfectly.  I get a really nice mid-presence out of it that should sit with the band's sound very well.  I wish I would have discovered this set up long ago!

Latest posts

Back