New Old Mics...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

So i've been trollin the bay and other netological resouces in search of some "different" microphones.  I really wanna get my hands on a reslo ribbon mic (wont have the cash till after the wedding though) and possibly either an old EV or RCA ribbon to fix up.  This past weekend i picked up a pair of Shure SM-98's (tom mics) that are supposed to be pretty good on horns as well.  Got em with the clips, wind screens, hyper-cardioid extenders cables and pres.  Decent price.  Anyone else use these?

They work great on horns.  I've never used them in the studio, but they are wonderful live.  For recording horns in a studio situation, use something else, like RE20 or something.

Cheers,
Zach

I have a Reslo ribbon mic in near perfect condition if you are interested? I'm not in any rush if you're interested.
I'll get a photo up for you soon.

Frank B.

sr1200 said:
So i've been trollin the bay and other netological resouces in search of some "different" microphones.  I really wanna get my hands on a reslo ribbon mic (wont have the cash till after the wedding though) and possibly either an old EV or RCA ribbon to fix up.  This past weekend i picked up a pair of Shure SM-98's (tom mics) that are supposed to be pretty good on horns as well.  Got em with the clips, wind screens, hyper-cardioid extenders cables and pres.  Decent price.  Anyone else use these?

Hi,
I'm back from my holiday, as promised the photo of my Reslo ribbon mic.
[/img]IMG_0359.JPG[/img]

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    530.6 KB · Views: 95
Hi Frank,

That one is the less common later updated version of the RB. Would you mind popping the grills off and taking a photo? I'm curious to know if the magnet structure is the same as the older ones.

Cheers!

Stewart

zebra50 said:
Hi Frank,

That one is the less common later updated version of the RB. Would you mind popping the grills off and taking a photo? I'm curious to know if the magnet structure is the same as the older ones.

Cheers!

Stewart

Should have same magnet structure. I have three little different RB's and inside they only have different frame colours (two white one black).

Thank you Frank!

It is indeed a standard Reslo RB motor, but in a revised body. Trying to move with the times I guess!

Stewart

In my experience a reslo with a good condition ribbon sounds pretty good, but most have a trashed ribbon after not being looked after, and sound rather muffled/veiled.  Once I got my pair of st&c 4038's even the good reslo I had sounded mediocre in comparison, so I sold all the reslo's I had because I knew I would never use them again.

I'm planning to completely restore my Reslos. First i'll change the ribbon, but i need to order rubber stamps to corrugate it. Second thing i want to rewind transformer ( THANKS again Stewart for help!!!).
Two problems:)
I have no time yet to do that and i'm thinking that my magnets are weak in two of them.
Is there any rule with changing magnets? Can i put newer type, strong neodymium or alnico magnets? They should be unipolar i think. If someone have any info i'll be thankfull!

I have an old Shure Sm98 not the Beta for my wireless sax rig.  My sound guy and I love it.  It sounds so full / thick and great when I go out in front of the band to solo and clown around.  I was thinking about picking another one up just to have for another wireless rig i have.  I have heard the betas on toms too and they sound amazing.  I think the beta just has a tighter pickup pattern.  All the new shure wireless systems have the beta 98 for wind instruments. 

These mics are for live stuff and I don't know how they would sound in a studio setting.

-Scott

Youre the first person ive heard say they like the beta 98's.  Everyone feels theyre very harsh sounding (as it seems everyone thinks neod. mics do)  The 98s on toms have yielded the best sound for me so far with toms.  Havent used it on horns though.  My studio rarely gets to see brass/wind instruments.

Hahahahah maybe it's just have great sounding drums and the right placement.  I. Have just heard them in live situations.

Latest posts

Back