any opinions on gepco snake cable?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Might  ask well as the masses. Hunting down 26 channel snake cable for some b-gauge patchbay work. So far all I can find is gepco?
Never used it so might as well ask, how it performs sonically?

Or do you think I should just stick with what I like from a sonic point of view and just buy 24 channel and 2 channel snakes to make the 26 channels needed per row?

I have used the 24 gauge Gepco in various pair sizes for a number of installs for video production facilities, as well as a few recording studios.  I never had any complaints about sonic quality, plus the 24 Ga. stuff is super easy to strip and terminate.  The outer jacket is  "clean strip" which means you don't have to fiddle with the foil.

OTOH, several clients have insisted on Mogami for their studios, mainly so they can have that as a bragging point.

Bri

well my work uses mogami exclusively as that is what people want. On my personal side I have tested mogami vs  canari vs belden. I have come to the conclusion that 1. how the ground is done braided vs wrap vs foil makes a huge difference and 2 quad mic/line cable vs regular mic/line cable makes more of a difference to sonics then the 3 mentioned brands.  this has been in runs of around 20-25 feet. mogami with the wrap was more microphonic then the other 2 but aside from picking up handleing noise wasn't much difference sonically other then when doing quad cables. I preferred quad. I would love to use canari quad snake for all the patchbay work but they do not make it 26 channels which is the number of channels per each b-gauge patch row on my patchbays. So far the only thing I found in 26 channels is gepco and it's not quad. now I could use snakes with more then 26 channels but would hate to have to more then necessary cause they wouldn't be used. I also could use 24 channel snake and 2 channel snake but that would just get messy.

since I never used gepco thought I would ask about how it sounds. good to know it performs well. thanks.

Brian Roth said:
I am curious about your test procedures.....mic or line level, etc.

Best,

Bri

When the tests were made made 20-25' of mic connections and used the same everything preamp, mic,into the same monitor chain just swapped cables as well as stereo pairs made up of 2 different cables but using a pair of preamps, etc, etc. Also did line level tests with the same monitor set and patching in and out gear. I have done the tests with people at their studios for the sole purpose showing off cabling skills. FWIW I picked up some Belden 8 channel quad snake on a closeout, a dollar a foot why not. I turned it into a drum snake for a client as he often puts drums in the same location at his studio. The  drumset end side has a 15' fan out which covers most kits, the mic panel side has a small fan out. He swears it's the best he ever heard better then his Mogami that he normally uses.

yeah not the most scientific way of doing things but since the end result has to be sonics that's the route that was taken

Latest posts

Back