Woa A film about Sound City Studios and their old Neve.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was there once doing some tech work on a pro tools system. The tracking room in studio A is square but really large so I guess that's how you get away with a square room. It sounded so good, could mic up a fart and make it musical in that room.

That picture alone is worth clicking on the link , thanks
Hey where is the full length feature ? Doe's Dave own some of this ?

pucho812 said:
I was there once doing some tech work on a pro tools system. The tracking room in studio A is square but really large so I guess that's how you get away with a square room. It sounded so good, could mic up a fart and make it musical in that room.

Any idea what the wall material is?

I am really interested in any info in explaining or detailing the mic pre/EQ stage from this desk.
I know that its a 8028 desk, and can see that it uses what seems to look like the 1081 mic pre/EQ?
Is there a way of building these to spec and changing the XLR and Jack so they are separate and having an insert in there?
Im new to all this modular Neve stuff.
I have asked and looked around and the only stuff i can find that is available is based on the 1073 but this is confusing to me as some have the EQ and some dont? what do all the numbers represent?
Be great if someone could offer a modular kit to each bit to build your own Neve mixer: Mic Pre/EQ, Aux Section, Fader Section.
I would happily get rid of my Allen & Heath GS3000 32 channel for 16 channels of this!!!

All info welcome

regards

Spence.

You may want to have a look over here too.  There is an active forum with lots of info in the archives.

http://auroraaudio.net/ask-geoff/neve-2

I saw this documentary last week, this is on of the best musical doc i ever seen.
The neve console is simply amazing and sound killer.
Thanks to dave grohl for this great film

Analog for ever and ever

Great movie, sadly I saw this happen to many studios during the 90's in  London.

It was hard for them to keep running with low budget records and very high outgoings.

However, I don't see "Pro Tools" as the real problem, just a changing industry.

Perhaps it will come back around at some point.

M.

Finally got a chance to see the movie. I like the fact that they had rupert neve explaining some tech stuff about the console. All in All  the movie was pretty cool but fell apart towards the end. I didn't see what sir paul had anything to do with anything other then they invited him to jam and filmed it to show you how cool they are, they get to play with sir paul.  The whole anti digital thing although might be hipster cool, reality is that it's not going away any time soon and that is a viable way to make records.  I stopped that whole argument long ago because in the end it doesn't matter how you got there. If it helps you create music then go do it. There are plenty of albums that have been made with digital  formats that sounded good and vice versa.  I see the real problem is the change in how the industry did things. Long gone are the days of record labels wanting to invest 6 figure budgets to record some band that they may never see a return on their investment in the band or even break even on their investment in the band.  I don't see digital as a problem, I see the way it was marketed to the people as the problem, the whole notion that you don't need an engineer or a real space you can do it by yourself in your house which is most likely not suited for anything sound related.

Spencerleehorton said:
I am really interested in any info in explaining or detailing the mic pre/EQ stage from this desk.
I know that its a 8028 desk, and can see that it uses what seems to look like the 1081 mic pre/EQ?
Is there a way of building these to spec and changing the XLR and Jack so they are separate and having an insert in there?
Im new to all this modular Neve stuff.
I have asked and looked around and the only stuff i can find that is available is based on the 1073 but this is confusing to me as some have the EQ and some dont? what do all the numbers represent?
Be great if someone could offer a modular kit to each bit to build your own Neve mixer: Mic Pre/EQ, Aux Section, Fader Section.
I would happily get rid of my Allen & Heath GS3000 32 channel for 16 channels of this!!!

All info welcome

regards

Spence.

PM Brunno2000, he has some modules you may want to take a look at.
Myke

The film was shown in its entirety on BBC4 here in the UK last week. You can still catch it if you are i  the UK here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03sltyb

There's a lovely clip with Rupert Neve 'explaining' about the transformer output stage producing a 'sweet sound'.

They found the original invoice for the console that was built in 1972 ( a couple of years befroe I joined Neve). It cost just over $72,000. I gues in today's money that must be over half a million.

Cheers

Ian

MagnetoSound said:
useme2305 said:
i just watched this...i wasn't impressed at all. would have been so much better if neil young played the role of grohl.

Anything is better with Neil Young in it. ;D

Except isn't his ranting about the 'errors' in CDs total bollocks?

rob_gould said:
MagnetoSound said:
useme2305 said:
i just watched this...i wasn't impressed at all. would have been so much better if neil young played the role of grohl.

Anything is better with Neil Young in it. ;D

Except isn't his ranting about the 'errors' in CDs total bollocks?

I think he was referring to dithering. The early CDs were simply truncated and the early converters could barely achieve a 14 bit resolution in practice. I think that is what he means when he refers to algorithms.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back