i stated this thred at TT : speaker bass mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frob

this was a thred started at TT but i was not able to get the info needed before the great purge. i wanted to make a bass mic out of an ns10 wolfer and needed halp onthe tranformer any input would help.

We've been using this for a few years now. I hear that the beatles did it.
You can even use a guitar or bass cab. Sounds great but you need a normal mic too.

Sorry to be so thick but can you explain this to me please. What exactly are you doing here?

i did some experiments with this when recording my band in the 80's.
Our singer's dad had a tvshop, so we went looking in his dumpsters for (bad) tv and hifispeakers and mount these under toms instead of the resonance skins.

Produces a very convincing "typical" early electronic drumkit sound when connected direct to the pre's of a desk.

we did a demo ones where we blended this sound with the original tom sound... we got a kind of sound that was very popular in the 80's (think of Miami Vice tune)

Still have to try out to put one in front of kickdrums, i'm sure that will ad a lot of resonace and low end.

The principle is exactly the same as dynamic microphones. I think I read somewehre that during a coalmining catastrophe some workes got trapped inside the mine and the rescue team outside where able to make a small hole down to them. They lowered a Sennheiser MD21 down and used that for both as a microphone and loudspeaker!

Using headphones as microphones is and ol' scholol lofi technique.

Not all loudspeakers are usefull as microphones. If you'd like to get a phat lowend, use a hifi woofer with a soft surround, rubber or foam. they outcome will greatly depend on wether the speaker is mounted in abox or not. I have some special DIY woofers for this app.

You can try out with any loudspekaer, nothing can break really...

Have fun! :grin:

I read an article a while back about this similar technique using small transistor radio speakers. The principle in this article was that if the speaker could "Capture" the sound and then be amplified then recorded, then when the sound was reproduced on the same "Small" speaker it would translate well to small playback systems. This is an EQ Filtering technique. Preset in your own factory. The use of a Woofer, Large cone surface translating into the pickup of larger waves will " Capture" more low frequencies because the highs won't have the power to push the cone. Another fixed EQ. I haven't tried either but have all the parts for the smaller one. A 40-Ohm speaker and XLR jack two wires and a project box. Quite a parts list I know, 2 years to collect them all, list upon list, revisions and edits and...... I'll get on this one and try it out. I'll also dig out the article and judiciously represent it here in my own words.

Back