scientific proof that modern music sucks!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did this link put a smile on my face? Surely I should be depressed about it... Maybe I feel vindicated?

The key word here is "pop" music. Music overall has diversified so much into different scenes and subgeneres, and beginning with the walkman and car cassette players individual listening has become possible to such a degree that the typical radio pop music increasingly only serves the less musical, less sophisticated part of the population. The internet has accelerated this diversification. I know a lot of highly music-savy young people who don't have a clue what's going on in pop music at all. The stuff they like is much more complex than pop music, too much so for the average listener.

The study, which appears in the journal Nature Scientific Reports, offers a handy recipe for musicians in a creative drought.

It suggests old tunes re-recorded with increased loudness, simpler chord progressions and different instruments could sound new and fashionable.

"This yields a clear recipe for contemporising old songs: using more common chord changes, changing the song's instrumentation, and record it louder," says Serra.

Answer me this...what is music.  Who defines what is considered music.  I believe music is noise that evokes emotion and different noise does this to different people. We are noise makers.

Latest posts

Back