G7 build PSU capacitor help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazmcc

EDIT: Sorted the question below about transformers, but now need to confirm what capacitors are needed for the PSU. I followed someone else's BOM but think it may be slightly wrong. Would be grateful if someone could list all caps needed for the PSU - have given a detailed description of the problem in the final reply of this thread

****IGNORE THIS PART BELOW - NOW ANSWERED!!!***

Hi guys, just looking for advice on what to order for the G7 mic build power supply transformers? I ordered 2 blindly without checking dimensions etc and they're too big.
I'm based in the UK and from checking other BOMs I need

1 pcs. Transformer 230:9V, ~5VA,
1 pcs. Transformer 230:15V, ~3VA

Also looking for longer rails for my mic chassis as my donor mic is too short.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Your question is a little unclear, do you have a too small PSU box and therefore need as small transformers as possible? 5 and 3 VA transformers are normally quite small...

You could use those hexagon metal PCB standoffs for rails, they come in different leghts and could be combined to fit your needs.

Apologies for the confusion, my PSU box was too small but I've managed to rearrange things enough to get everything to fit. Thanks for the advice about the rails, they'll be extremely helpful

Anyone?  :-[

Sorry for the bump, but I'm rapidly running out of time to get this built for a project!!!

From the circuit diagrams and the print on Gustav's PCB, I'm thinking it's the following:

2 x Electrolytic capacitors, 470uF/200V
2 x Electrolytic capacitor, 1000/25V (is this 1000uF? Also PCB print says 35V while circuit diagram says 25V - which is correct?)
1 x Electrolytic capacitor, 10/35V (again not sure if this is 10uF)

Can anyone confirm these for me?

It looks like you have it right. I have not built one of these mics myself, but trolling through google images seems to confirm your suspicion that they are indeed 1000uF caps rated between 25-35V. I'd go with the 35V. Same goes for the 10uF cap. Go with Nichicon for your electrolytics and you should be fine.

-James-

This is what I used when I built my G7
from Digikey invoice. 
I bought one
493-1849-ND
CAP 10UF 35V ELECT PW RADIAL
2 of these
493-2016-ND
CAP 470UF 200V ELECT PW RADIAL
And 2 of these
493-1872-ND
CAP 1000UF 35V ELECT PW RADIAL

Capacitors can always go over voltage spec just not under. The only thing to consider if you use a larger voltage spec on a cap is the physical size. The larger the voltage the bigger they are.

for the heater supply caps, anything from 16v to infinity will do. choose for leg spacing if you like.
You don't need a BOM for this dozen of components.

Great, thanks for the help. I'd found a BOM for this build and it had a different list of caps which confused me! Got everything ordered now! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back