SSL Frankenstein Box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atticmike

Howdy fellas once more,

This time, it is all about ssl and their modules in an attempt to rack em up in the same box.

The 4H 19" rack will contain the following units:

1 x SSL X-Rack XR425 E-Series EQ Module ( + / - 15 V & + 5 V)
1 x SSL 5000 series Stereo Input Module 521 ( + / - 17.5 V ≈ & - 24 V & + 6)
1 x SSL 5000 series SL 510 Channel Compressor ( + / - 17.5 V ≈ & - 24 V & + 6)

To cut a long story short: 5000 series input -> Xrack EQ -> 5000 series comp

Thanks a million to Magnet for making it possible to get a hold of those great 5000 modules and hopefully some more in the future :)
The first piece of the list I had gotten for birthday but I didn't feel like getting an expensive X-Rack just for that so it'll be a part of a Frankenstein box by mixing the old and new style together.

Though everything's prepped and waiting to be called into action, I have yet to figure out how to accommodate 7 different voltages into one box. Well it is actually not that much of a big deal though I want it to be perfectly executed.

My choice of transformers has fallen on antek's 50 VAC, 25V toroid transformer which will power all three of em. It had to be 25 since the 5000 units require a third voltage to power the logic section of -24 V, unless you know a better solution.

Anyways, I'll try to keep you updated as often as possible :)

Mike

*Update* Although I could just get the JLM powerstation v3 which requires an input of at least 15 vac and put either a 15 or 18 secondary voltage before it and use the 300 mA 48V rail to produce the -24 V to reduce the heat dissipation.

Box is done! Gonna post a lot of the build soon.

Just did a quick test on a snare I recorded once. EQ and compression:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70609905/snaretest.wav

PS: Whereas I gotta add that this was a stress test. This snare was recorded with an sm 57 through an isa one through an alesis io 26 and now processed with lynx and ssl frankenstein box :D

Back