General Question about CD-R Duplicators

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takeflight

This might be a dumb question but...would Audio CDs made on a budget 24x CD-R duplicator and laser etcher be of a lower quality than audio CDs made using Waveburner on a Mac G5 with 2.3GHz running Waveburner from Logic Pro 8 on 10.6?  When I say quality I am talking about Block Error Rate, and my guess is that they would be the same quality if I make the 'master' CD-R using Waveburner at 4x speed. 

Intended use: to record live performances into a DAW, create laser etched CDs onsite, and sell them 30 minutes after the show.

Who uses cd's anymore? Just by some cheap usb sticks and copy the files directly. No loss in quality at all. And it will be MUCH quicker.

Search around you can find the 256 to 512 meg ones for around a buck a piece.

This is an interesting idea and will probably become the norm, sooner than later, as "good" CD-R media is becoming scarcer. It seems there is no lack of DVD-R media, however. When downloading songs/albums to a USB stick, is it necessary to render to Redbook standard, or can the stereo files be left at a higher quality? Might be a good way to get people to learn what it's like to hear better quality once again, rather than MP3.

No, all very good pionts, especially if you want to produce a an "album" But for the added flexibility and shoot most players will play multiple bit depths now as well. you  could even have a compressed and un compressed format. I did a quick search and foundsome 512meg sticks that you could have a logo or something put on to, for around a buck or two. Sadly the cd format is slowly dying as well. I honestly cant remember the last time a played a cd.
Most of my music is 24bit wav files as well. Data is to cheap, shoot my last entire recording session fit on my cell phone!! ;D ;D

I still burn master reference CD's, but they usually just get stored away on a shelf somewhere.  320 kbps MP3 has become the distribution method of choice lately.  Sad, but a reality these days.

Cheers,
Zach

I agree with download cards, email, or dropbox.  Less work, less cost, it gets them on your email lists, and any quality audio you want...

Back