BA6A Sowter Interstage tran arrived sounds great!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

The interstage iron arrived in the post the other day, connected it up up & WOW! this thing sounds fantastic! BIG FAT WARM in ya FACE sweet smoothe, I cant stop singin thru it, no thumps or pops, seems to make my LA2A sound dull, & I love that thing,didn?t mean it LA, works nice as a mic pre too, still got some experiments to do,I have to make a box for the power supply trans & choke, cant find 3 pole switches and resistor values to make a Daven T style attenuator, so have got couple 270R res with a 1K stepped pot across them, seems to work don?t know how much better a constant impedance thingy would be,rang Brian Sowter to say it works & to thank him, he was pleased probably to finally get me out of his hair,would like to say a big thanks anybody on here & from TT who helped me out answering my silly questions, {plenty more where they came from} so cheers for that & if I can give anyone any info if anyone decides to build one of these I?d be only too pleased to help, many thanks

Gary O.

That's great news, Gary!

Maybe the price will come down a bit as he was pricing them not to sell so that he could get some feedback from a few people.

Great to hear you`ve got this working nicely.

cant find 3 pole switches and resistor values to make a Daven T style attenuator,

If you have an RS account they do rotary switch kits. You buy a switch assembly & then buy the wafers you need which bolt on the back. From RS you can only get max 12 position wafers. I used them for my Neve clone & they work fine. Costs about £20 for 3 pole 12way, with make before break contacts. The company that makes them does 24 position, but when I tried to get a quote they never got back to me so I just got them from RS. I can`t remember the company name off hand.

By the way if you can live with 11 positions they do a miniture version which is slightly cheaper

The company that makes them does 24 position, but when I tried to get a quote they never got back to me so I just got them from RS. I can`t remember the company name off hand.

Please, remenber. Sorry to go out of topic, but this could be a good substitute to the ELMA gain switch in the 1081/1073...

Now back to the BA6A.

Cheers Rob, yeah ive heard about those at the mo tho 20 squid is a lotta money after buying interstage, sad isnt it still now I know where it is thanks.

sorry. If you could remenber the company name, and maybe contact them about this swicth, it would be wonderful! I know ELMAs are great, but I can´t pay for ELMA...

I used them in my Neve but a 12 pos switch & left out the lowest gain setting. With the shorting type you can only get 12 pos on the standard size & 11pos on minature size.

Don`t know much about the 24 pos. Not sure how much the 24 pos would cost either.

[quote author="CJ"]
Maybe the price will come down a bit as he was pricing them not to sell so that he could get some feedback from a few people.[/quote]

I don´t think so. Look at that big chunk of iron...

stylefk.jpg

just the mumetal case alone may cost lots of money to Mr Sowter.... I guess, price may come down if you ask it uncased, and it would probably work fine.

Sorry for the off topic :oops:
but also farnell have the NSF Controls switch kit !!
serch for NSF Controls under rotary switch for the wafer and under switch components for the mechanism !!

Latest posts

Back