2 x 15 V at 50 VAC vs 80 VAC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atticmike

Hey there,

While I was putting the parts for my ssl racking attempt together, I started to wonder whether it'd be bad to get a 80 VAC transformer instead of 50 since I don't know how much exactly those modules will be drawing if all buttons in.

Therefore I have no idea what this would do to the head dissipation and overall performance in case there wasn't actually that much draw since I bought them to be on the safe side? Or is the 50 vs 80 VAC just not relevant for heat dissipation and I can get that bigger transformer without worrying too much?

Mike

You can always go up in transformer power as long as you have the space for it, the only thing you have to worry about is not wooring about the transformer over heating and better performance is your powering more modules. i remember it like trying to replace a lost power adapter, you can always use one with a higher current rating, but not higher voltage rating (well unless its AC you might be able to get away with a few volts, but generally not a good idea! :) )

atticmike said:
Therefore I have no idea what this would do to the head..
you don't want to hear this :)
2x 15 VAC at 50 (V)olt of (A)lternating (C)urrent vs 80 VAC is at least mindbending. You probably ment 50VA vs 80VA. VA is the product of your transformers secondary AC voltage in Vrms times current in A. Your 2x15V/50VA transformer is rated for a 50VA/(2x15V)=1.66A max.load of AC current, 0.83A per secondary winding. Depending on type of rectification used, this 1.66A AC current FI might be 1.66A/1.8=0.92A or 2x 0.46A DC current with fullwave bridge rectifier(s), 1.66A/2.3=0.72A DC current in a single diode halfwave rectifier config or maybe 1.66A/4=0.41A DC current in a 2diode villard voltage doubler config.
Maybe my little PSU-calculator can help you playing with numbers.

Latest posts

Back