headphone splitter amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mute_transports

I want to use a Yamaha powered mixer (~100W per side) to run a bunch of headphones for monitoring during a recording session. I intend to get some pots and a box and have 4 headphone outs with individual volume pots. I will use a resistor to pad the pot, so even at full volume it is not seeing the full output of the amp.
I won't have a chance to try this out until next week, can anyone suggest some starting values for pot and resistor values to speed things up?
Anyone tried it before, got a better way of doing it or spot any issues I'm likely to come across?
Cheers!

You'd need to calculate with your headphone's impedances first of all. You probably can't use this with mixed-impedance headphones without either burning some oe having too low a signal in others.

Place the splitter/limiter resistors (calculate knowing headphone impedances and max. level) at the amplifier, NOT at the headphones end. Most amplifiers don't like long cable runs with complex impedances.

Jakob E.

> I intend to get some pots

What pots do you intend to get? This job needs 100Ω 2W stereo, a rare bird.

I had no idea what values I was going for yet, I was going to try a few and see what worked and narrow it down. I was hoping I could get away with something larger in value and lower in wattage than what you've suggested..

I've never played much with headphone outputs, always just used them, but I've often noticed the headphone out as being just a dropper resistor from the speaker out, from (dodgy) memory a few k at 1W and thought I could do this and have a pot after it to control the volume.. I could get into the maths of it, but I've got enough things straining my brain at the moment, I was hoping someone here would have an answer already, otherwise I might pull apart a few hifi amps and check out their values before I go shopping for parts...

Back