Live Console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gltech

Hey guys,

Anyone willing please give your thoughts on a live console. The lowdown:

A band of very good select players I've worked with for many years.

Mostly 70s and 80s covers, and a few from other eras, with a few originals of the members. Most everything would fall into a spectrum I'll describe as Eagles to Tom Petty to Huey Lewis to Steve Winwood to Foreigner to maybe even Journey/Boston.

Not much concern with size/weight as we have a heavy transportation setup.

Already have a complete Aviom sys, so no stage monitors unless we add a drummer seat-shaker.

Need a few pre-fader stereo sub-mixes from FOH to the Aviom system for drums etc.

I have an Amek G2520 console, with the stock SSM2015 pres AND Audio-Maintenance upgrades (Angela), and I worship it. THIS IS THE SOUND I want to get as close to as I can.

I don't want to spend 10 grand, but can spend a few Ks. I wouldn't mind a used/eBay/etc piece that I could fix up within reason.

Thank You!
GL

APB is never going to be confused with a budget or value product, but their features and build quality help justify the price. They do occasionally show up on the used market, but not as often as other brands for some reason.

JR

Their top-of-the-line Spectra series could be considered pricey, but they have a mid-level Pro-Desk series that's reasonable, and their Pro Rack House ( 12 mono, 4 stereo inputs + tons of routing ) can be had for @ 3Kish. IMO worth every penny.

Thanks for the answers. I think the APB is probably out of my price range. One magazine said that the Spectra starts at $15k. And I need at least 32 channels, which even means $6k for 2 of the rack units.

I have zero experience/knowledge of live desks.

Maybe a Soundcraft, A&H, etc., something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath-GL3300-40x8-40-Channel-Channel-Mixing-Console-w-case-and-PS-/300747874953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4605f86289
One just like this sold on eBay recently for $1100, and seems to get rave reviews all over the web.

Anybody ever used anything like a Ghost or Tascam m2600 live?

Yamaha? Aren't there some highly regarded Yamaha live consoles?

Please don't hold back --  say "NO NO" or whatever to any of this. Priority ONE is sound (I say again I worship my G2520).

Check out Soundbroker.com.
Lot's of pre-owned consoles, including some APB. I've done business with them before for some big-ticket items, and I've always been pleased with the results.

gltech said:
Thanks for the answers. I think the APB is probably out of my price range. One magazine said that the Spectra starts at $15k. And I need at least 32 channels, which even means $6k for 2 of the rack units.

I have zero experience/knowledge of live desks.

Maybe a Soundcraft, A&H, etc., something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath-GL3300-40x8-40-Channel-Channel-Mixing-Console-w-case-and-PS-/300747874953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4605f86289
One just like this sold on eBay recently for $1100, and seems to get rave reviews all over the web.

Please don't hold back --  say "NO NO" or whatever to any of this. Priority ONE is sound (I say again I worship my G2520).

Let's see (live guy here) --- the Ghost and especially that Tascam don't have a feature set that's suitable for live mixing. Sure, you can do a live mix on either, but you're constrained by routing, channel-strip tone controls, aux sends, muting, grouping .... stuff that doesn't matter to live guys (like inline monitoring) is vital to recording guys.

The GL3300 is fine. The newer GL2800 is more convenient. Neither has VCA grouping, which is more convenient than standard subgroups. None of the budget desks have sweepable high-pass filters on the channels, and that's a feature that's absolutely vital.

Have you considered digital? Why not an Yamaha M7CL or LS9-32 or perhaps an Avid SC-48? Digital means you don't need to shlep racks full of outboard and the associated cabling. By the time you've spent all of the money on the outboard (reverb, delay, gates, compressors, EQs) you're probably now in the price range of the LS9.

-a

.... and make sure that Balijon isn´t faster in buying it than you are....

Amek M1000 desks were the livesound version of the M2500. Same EQ as in G2520s ;-)

Second hand Soundcraft K3 Theatre.
Fully modular and tons of features. And it sounds very nice.
http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=8

I recently bought smallest 16 channel version for folkish rock/pop group for around 2k€ and I'm very happy with it.

-Paavo

Hm, I never knew that rupert Neve was involved in making amek consoles. I have a friend who loves his Einstein. I've heard it's an ssl g like board.

It seems people hate the otari desks.. I never knew that otari made desks. Thanks for showing me soundbroker.com

Live, I like Midas boards. Not mega flexible routing but the pres and EQ's proved to be good.

Andy Peters said:
buildafriend said:
Live, I like Midas boards. Not mega flexible routing ...

Huh?

You've never mixed on a Heritage ... routing out the wazoo.

-a

Nope I havent.. look at that! http://www.midasconsoles.com/h3000.php

But I have been behind an LS9! Only once, it was a pleasure and super easy to operate. It completely saves all of your settings. reverbs, compression, and EQ all are just a few clicks away.

But I have been behind an LS9! Only once, it was a pleasure and super easy to operate.

If SOUND is of major concern, as the OP stated, the LS9 is absolutely not the ticket.

I do lots of jobs on LS9 and while setup and operation are straightforward and the possibilities regarding submixes and other livesound duties like setting up delay lines, eqing monitors and PA leave little to miss - regarding the target sector of this board... - The SOUND of this board is mediocre at best - no comparison to a well maintained analog console with a siderack. (And a bunch of controllers and EQs) that takes quadruple the space and weights at least 10 times the LS9.

BUT for touring with multiple stereo monitor mixes, fair use of changing FX for different songs  while playing on many different sound systems, the LS9 is definitely worth a closer look.

Many thanks for all the info. Keep it coming.

Anybody care to comment about about...
gltech said:

And I have a new idea. These:
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/AML-16-009_extended_info.html
are the upgrade pres for my Amek and they sound fantastic IMO. Obviously I could rack up quite a few of these at a reasonable cost. If I did that, wouldn't something like that $1100 A&H (etc) be just peachy?
Thanks again!
-Glenn

gltech said:
Many thanks for all the info. Keep it coming.

Anybody care to comment about about...
gltech said:

Well, the "highly regarded" Yamaha live consoles in the analog world are the once-ubiquitous PM4000. Every PM3000 you'll see is a pile of crap that needs serious maintenance.

In the digital, there's the PM1D, the PM5D, the M7CL and the LS9. There's a new CL series that might not even be available yet. I've never used a 1D and you won't see one unless you've got a gig at the Triple Door in Seattle. The 5D is fairly ubiquitous. I find it's easy to get around on and sounds fine. Get the -RH version ("remote headamp") which enables you to store the preamp gains. 

And seriously: you don't want the ghost or the Tascam as your live mixer.

0a

Back