Audio Precision System One

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea what could cause such a failure other than serious misuse (plug output into mains outlet..?). Surely no shipping damage! I think too that you should first contact the seller if he promised fully working condition. If it's just the resistors which got burnt this will be easy to fix, but if the output transformer suffered too, this will be expensive if at all possible (I think the SYS-2722 still uses the same transformer, so you might get a replacement in case).

Samuel

I have been in touch with the seller. I sent him a pic so he is fully aware. Like I mentioned, he is a friend and a well respected designer in the pro audio biz. I don't think it is that serious of an issue really and will just replace the R's and see how it goes. I already put the disc with the skiz away but IIRC, the B gen output card is an option that is basically a mult from right after the A gen's output transformer. Since the B generator is functioning just fine, I would assume that the transformer is also fine.

I think the trouble may be finding the exact Dale precision R's. These values, especially the 1/2W 61R1's are not stocked buy any of the usual suspects. I may have to see if AP has them.

I may never know why this happened.  :mad:

The Audiomatica Clio system should be a nice alternative to AP. It is mostly used for acoustical measurements but has really nice features for electrical measurements as well. I haven't used the new firewire interface but I remember using an old version with ISA cards at my former work many years ago.

/A

I just picked up a couple of switchers for my AP.  The way I understand it, the computer control cable goes to the first switcher, then to the second switcher, then to the AP unit. 
Computer>-------->switcher1>----------->switcher2>----------->SystemOne
Can the cable from switcher 2 to the SystemOne be 10' long?  Any problem with that?
Thanks!
Best,
Bruno2000

kvintus said:
The Audiomatica Clio system should be a nice alternative to AP. It is mostly used for acoustical measurements but has really nice features for electrical measurements as well. I haven't used the new firewire interface but I remember using an old version with ISA cards at my former work many years ago.

/A
Clio is not really appropriate for high quality audio measurements. The generator is limited to +17dBu and its impedance is quite high (>600r). The input is qualified for only -40dBu, so is not adequate for measuring noise. It is really meant for loudspeaker mfgrs.

Hello,

I am reading this thread because I have a Sys 1 with an Apib Kit from Sound logic.
With Apiwin everything seems to be ok.
With Dos I found problems ; I read about the option /i1  (from dos under windows) and now I can hear the noise from relais on S1 (nothing happen before ) .
If I try to load ine test listed I got the message  "DSP does not respond to RESET"

Can you help me?

THX in advance

Walter

walge said:
Hello,

I am reading this thread because I have a Sys 1 with an Apib Kit from Sound logic.
With Apiwin everything seems to be ok.
With Dos I found problems ; I read about the option /i1  (from dos under windows) and now I can hear the noise from relais on S1 (nothing happen before ) .
If I try to load ine test listed I got the message  "DSP does not respond to RESET"

Can you help me?

THX in advance

Walter

There are some things that the Sound Logic driver does not address in DOS, and this may be one.  I suggest you call Sound Logic and ask them.  They are nice folks, and answer the phone.
Best,
Bruno2000

thx Bruno

I am in Itay; days ago I open a case on Sound  Logic site but nothing happen :-[

Walter

walge said:
thx Bruno

I am in Itay; days ago I open a case on Sound  Logic site but nothing happen :-[

Walter

His business is pretty much a one man operation.  He may be at a show.  IIRC we had a conversation about a DSP reset line not being supported under DOS, but that was a while back.
What are you trying to do under DOS that you can't do under Windows?
Best,
Bruno2000

Now I am testing the dos and I found that with the standard test on Panel ( amplitude, thd ecc.) everything seems to be ok.
About the other test is the same I described yesterday.
I would like to run dos because I have te possibility to save the graphisc in .plt that are much better to work with Corel draw.
I hope to find a solution and I am waiting an answer form Sound Logic.
Of course with Apwin, the stuff is running good with this kit.

Ciao

Walter

bruno2000 said:
I just picked up a couple of switchers for my AP.  The way I understand it, the computer control cable goes to the first switcher, then to the second switcher, then to the AP unit. 
Computer>-------->switcher1>----------->switcher2>----------->SystemOne
Can the cable from switcher 2 to the SystemOne be 10' long?  Any problem with that?
Thanks!
Best,
Bruno2000

To answer my own question, this config works fine.  I used an old 10' 25 pin D-Sub computer cable.
Best,
Bruno2000

Super-late response, but APIB is a parallel bus. You can connect items in any order. Cable length has never been a problem for me, but I have always bought cables from AP.

As for the catastrophic failure of the Gen resistors, this is typical of a failure that we used to see if an audio power amplifier had DC voltage (with respect to ground) on the input connector.  This sometimes happens with prototypes or power transformers with a short between primary and secondary.  Not saying that it was definitely the cause, just offering up a possibility.

Hope that helps.

SonsOfThunder said:
Super-late response, but APIB is a parallel bus. You can connect items in any order. Cable length has never been a problem for me, but I have always bought cables from AP.

As for the catastrophic failure of the Gen resistors, this is typical of a failure that we used to see if an audio power amplifier had DC voltage (with respect to ground) on the input connector.  This sometimes happens with prototypes or power transformers with a short between primary and secondary.  Not saying that it was definitely the cause, just offering up a possibility.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!  Got everything working just fine.  Used regular parallel printer cable.
Best,
Bruno2000

Hello,

I found another problem with my AP1 + sound logic interface.
I can't plot a frequency response comes from a CD.
It seems that it is not able to sinchronize the input signal.
I check the test with another AP1 with Apib card and it run fine.
If I plot a freq. answer with the internal generator everything is ok.

I check also a FFT always come from a CD  (signal at 1 kHz) and I can see the spectrum.

It is very strange.

Any idea?

Thx in advance

Walter

walge said:
Hello,

I found another problem with my AP1 + sound logic interface.
I can't plot a frequency response comes from a CD.
It seems that it is not able to sinchronize the input signal.
I check the test with another AP1 with Apib card and it run fine.
If I plot a freq. answer with the internal generator everything is ok.

I check also a FFT always come from a CD  (signal at 1 kHz) and I can see the spectrum.

It is very strange.

Any idea?

Thx in advance

Walter

There is a Linkedin group Classic-AP-Audio-Systems-Group that might be able to help you.
Best,
Bruno2000

Thx for answer.

I am trying to search the group , do you have a link?
I put on search the id but without resuults

Bye

Walter

walge said:
Thx for answer.

I am trying to search the group , do you have a link?
I put on search the id but without resuults

Bye

Walter

Go to linkedin.com
pull down the "interests" tab
click on "groups"
search for "Classic AP Audio Systems Group"
Best,
Bruno2000

Back