Trying to sort out parts for a tap guitar build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Since this is really not electronics related, I thought I'd drop it here in the Brewery in the hopes some of the other guitar builders (I know there are a few of you!) can steer me in the right direction.

I'm planning a tap guitar (something like a Chapman Stick) build, the idea being to build it with all readily-available parts and materials while still having all the special features I want, like an 8mm string spacing up and down the whole board. Anyway, here are my questions...

First, I seem to recall someone here telling me that there are locking tuners for guitars that can handle bass strings. I just wanted to get some advice on brands/types to look for in this regard,

My second issue has to do with the string spacing I want. I can't find any bridge parts that can handle anything closer than a 10mm spacing. As I mentioned before, I'm aiming for 8mm, since this is specifically designed for tapping. I think I might be able to make the bridge parts I need with a bit of creativity and resourcefulness, but something off-the-shelf would be nice.

My third issue also has to do with the string spacing. Most pickups are designed with pole pieces spaced at about... Yep, 10mm. I could set pickups like this diagonally (the pickups won't actually be visible in the final design) but I remember seeing both single and double-coil pickups with single blade-like pole pieces. Anyone have any recommendations there?

Thanks a lot for the help, guys!

Hi Darren,

Once you know your string spacing and number of strings  ;) , I could wind you a pickup to order.

But better still you could make your own. It is very simple to make a good sounding pickup, and all the parts are available from StewMac.com. You'll need some of the bobbin flatwork, magnet pole pieces, and wire - everything else is just frills really!

Cheers!

Stewart

Ah, but I do know my string spacing and number of strings. 8mm spacing, and ten strings. Well, actually, it's five strings. I'm separating the bass and treble sides, just like on a Chapman Stick or Warr Guitar, so really, the pickups need to be for five strings. Four of them.

However, you've sold me on the idea of making my own. I have a few other projects that I'll need custom pickups for, and it would be much easier for me, I think, if I could make them myself.

I guess I get to find another old sewing machine to cannibalize.

(I've already stripped an old Kenmore of its motor, plus a few other spare parts, for a rotary speaker build, but that's another thread...)

I could really use some advice on the tuners, though. Those are something I will need to buy ready-made. Thanks!

Back