Rivets for Press Brake (or has anyone here made a press brake w/o welding??)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ego Tripper

Hey guys,
A little over a year ago my brother & I had this let's-build-a-press-brake weekend where we purchased all the parts and cut to length a bunch of thick iron angle stock according to the principles laid out in this PDF I found a while back (the author's press brake was huge-- he DIYs small aircraft (not R.C.)). If anyone has hosting for this PDF I can e-mail them a copy...

Anyways, we hit a roadblock on the fasteners used to attach the hinge which joins the pressing-piece to the part which is anchored to the table. This is where most people (i.e. welders) weld. The author's plans specified "A5 stainless steel cherry pop rivets", but then again, the author was bending lightweight aircraft aluminum with his, and not only did I beef-up the size of the stock used in the brake build, but I also plan on using this thing to bend up to 16 gauge steel and I'm not sure how pop rivets will hold up under these circumstances.

Looking around the Internet, it appears that all pop rivets are not created equal (although I couldn't find exactly what the author specified). Does anyone here have much experience with rivets? Are the heaviest-duty pop rivets capable of this task? Is so, what are they called? If not, what kind of riveting should I be looking at?

-J.R.-

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivets/=iyi4ig

high strength blind rivets at mcmaster carr... 'round the corner and you can probably pick them up today at will-call

OK, cool. I'll talk to my guy at McMaster-Carr. At the very least, "high strength blind rivets" seems to be a fruitful search term.

Thanks shabtek!

Latest posts

Back