Drip 670 AGC Switch Wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anybody else building this unit with this option?

• x

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • x

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DonnieDarko

Hey there,

I´m almost finished building my Drip 670.

Only thing missing out are the TCs (due to delivery problems at Digikey with my switches for the PTP version of the TC) and the AGC switch.

I checked the wiring as described in the manual and it somehow doesn´t seem right - some cables go to nowhere, a lot more cables than mentioned in the manual need to be jumped a few times according to the schematic.

Is anybody here who encountered the same problems or has finished building the unit using the M/S option?

Attachments

• IMG_4012.JPG
    IMG_4012.JPG
    668.9 KB · Views: 97
I am getting ready to start my agc switch been using the comp for months just been lazy.I think at one point greg said therexc were some mistakes in the manual. I decided to go off the schematic. Are you doing the tc ptp because you dont have the boards or just cause?

I don´t have the boards (they wanted to ship them out some time ago but they didn´t arrive yet), but I do have the sizes of them as listed in the manual.

I´m doing PTP because the board don´t seem to fit into my case: The Golpoint switches to the right, to the left is the wall of the case.

I´m using one of Tat´s cases, heard other people complain about issues with fitting in the TC PCBs.

I actually have 2 extra boards somewhere if you want them. I had just turn mine at funny angles to make them fit i can post a pic later.

I used the bud case with my on front panel. I will try to locate the boards today. I actually had more room for the boards than I remembered.
photo7-1.jpg

Nice, tidy work!

Yeah, my case looks somewhat more unorganized due to bigger cables with kind of a really stiff shielding and also my front panel is cut a bit different. It´s a lot like yours, but then a bit more narrow in the left part I think. Did you happen to find the TC Boards? What do you want for them?

I am just starting my build, I will be using this option as I continue the build so will be paying close attention to your input and results-- I am having difficulty with locating the appropriate input attenuators-- the hairball 70 series has been discontinued I have been told, I would appreciate any suggestions as a substitute or work around you or others might have.

chaserose1 said:
I am just starting my build, I will be using this option as I continue the build so will be paying close attention to your input and results-- I am having difficulty with locating the appropriate input attenuators-- the hairball 70 series has been discontinued I have been told, I would appreciate any suggestions as a substitute or work around you or others might have.

I originally got mine from Jeff  (http://www.classicapi.com) before I switched to the stepped Shallco pricey but worth it for stereo matching etc.`

loopermc5,  Thanks for the info.  I went to the Surplus sales website to view the Davens-- Do you have the part number of the one you used handy-- I think this is the direction I would like to go-- I am trying to invision the mounting and what is required to accomplish this neatly-- any hints?

Hi
I will check for you when I'm back at the studio. I got mine from Anthony @ http://www.anthonydemarialabs.com he may help you out I got my agc switch from him to it was pricey but it's nice having the proper switch.

I got my attenuators from a dude on eBay named "micrental".

He has some used Shallcos in stock most of the time, if you are lucky he has the right ones.

They are really big though. If you using Tat´s case, you have to cut the small aluminium plate.

Hey Guys,

still no answer from Drip concerning the correct wiring.

One thing that seems to be for sure: Wire 5 and 19 don´t need to be wired on the switch, as they seem to be bridged on the PCB already (this is the only jumper that has to be set on the PCB when installing the switch).

We wired the whole enchilada according to the second version of the Drip AGC Manual (looks just like a big, ugly clump of wire) and it´s not working…

Does anybody have a clue?  :( :( :(

I would try to come up with your own wireing guide. In mono mode both input signals get distributed above both input transformer windings, also does the ouput signal on the output transformer.
In M/S Mode, A+B is fed to one input tranny, A-B to the other.
The output signals are A-B and A+B to come back to a L/R signal again.
I have a handdrawn plan at hand, but I still need to check all right connections on the drip pcb.

Yeah, I´m clear about how the signal should go.

Also I did look into the schematics, the one provided by Drip (with the colorings) and the original one.

Problem is, I don´t know where exactly the PCB feeds out the signal from the schematic…

I would be glad to have look at your facsimile.

Well, I also have to check the connections on the pcb. Since Drip provides no pcb plan I have to check the traces directly on the board...

Latest posts

Back