The Rude Tube Build / Support Thread (MAJ + PSU)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any suggestions on which PSU transformer to use. I know it was popular to use the musikding 230 > 250 - 9 - 24 ac transformer, but its gone...

Does anybody know if there's a cheap alternative in EU?

Hi Peter,
In a distortion/saturation unit like the Rude Tube it seems a bit redundant to drive an input transformer into saturation, since the effect is just marginal.  I would highly recommend to build this unit without any modification  first and add some tweaks later.  The Rude Tube will give you plenty of harmonic distortion/saturation, sometimes even more than you can bear  ;D
Bernd

Ok, try it. Yes, you can change the resistor value to your taste as long as the three resistors make 1M in total. You can take a 1M pot instead of the the three resistors and measure  the values that suit your personal taste. Keep in mind that the range of clean sound is very low, i.o. the 6as6 starts to distort very early.
A feature that could be very useful is to strap a cap (330pf or so) across the second 470k. Make it switchable and you get a nice extra touch of glare/sheen. Actually it's a high boost. Try different cap values to find your favourite frequency.
Bernd

i took my unit home for some mods, etc.
i realized my r22(6k8 2w) is burning hot... under the PCB is started to get black, and all color code on resistor already evaporated from the heat...

any suggestions, other than using bigger wattage resistor...

this is my major mod btw :
i named it different, if u dont mind :)

Attachments

• vstFX.png
    vstFX.png
    17 KB · Views: 78
Hi,
The 6k8 should be a 3 or more watt resistor. Had the same problem. I used a 5W resistor. That helped. Please explain, how you realised the vst control in terms of hardware control. Looks great.  Rude Tube is no trade mark, otherwise I would have created a logo  ;)
Bernd

its VST plugin for Rudetube...
i am using digital pots and relays, data sent over MIDI.  and  microprocessor...
not many pots to be controlled in RudeTube, so 6 way digital pot controls all my needs, for stereo/master
operation...
plus relays for switches... still need to finish coding, and wiring...
hardware simulator seems working fine...
i need to figure out preset recall sent auto over MIDI...
for now, i am using midi automation at  the beginning of a track in Cubase...

hardware unit carries  your name :)

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
not much to show yet. but hopefully i will do some more coding over the weekend.

this is how its working on MIDI side for now...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 1.19.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 1.19.06 PM.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 71
I'm finally looking into going ahead with this build. Is there a definitive list of manual corrections? Seems like the manual and BOM might be riddled with errors if the posts in this thread are true.

Year,  the 'manual' doesn't deserve its name. Unfortunately Drask seems to have disappeared and doesn't give any help. I recommend to built it strictly to the schematic. Keep in mind that one of the regulators pins must be turned around. Do the rest according to the schematic. Ask questions, if you are stuck. People around here will help you.
Bernd

through cubase MIDI_Device  all controls working as expected 8)
i still have to figure out for auto call of preset, upon loading a song.
preset recall is working fine...
automation working too, but since its a digital pot (resistor switches), its little  glitchy with 256 step pots,

1M pots are on I2C, gain SPI (i already had many SPI pots) , switch controls on relays...
i will make everything I2C when i get more time...
need to design a PCB including microprocessor, relays,digitalPots, PSU etc... and proper coding  8)
on audio tests, i didnt hear anything out of ordinary.

edit : may be i should start another thread ?

edit : i may add front panel controls and a LCD screen to save/call presets !

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Hi Kamboo

It's very interesting what you did.
Are you able to change preset on the daw without touch a rude tube knob?
Is it a digital control for every pots?

Best

Latest posts

Back