Vintage Tube & Vintage FET Microphone PCB Kit For DIY & New D7 Custom Capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dany,
This is great. I think I want one of each...but you know that already!

Dave

Looking at the two options,
Looks like both kits contain the same PSBs with the AMI kit
containing an extra PSB (the AMI T67 Adapt Board)
which allows the use of other mic transformers mounted in the Power Supply case.
Is this correct? Can you still use the internal BV12 with the AMI Kit?
I want two kits just not sure which one.

I agree with Winetree...  I want 2 kits just not sure which way to go.    :) :) :)

thanks for the awesomeness.  I just rented a U67 from Blackbird in town here for a 5 mic shootout, such an amazing mic.  It killed everything on female vocals.

best,
greg

Winetree said:
Looking at the two options,
Looks like both kits contain the same PSBs with the AMI kit
containing an extra PSB (the AMI T67 Adapt Board)
which allows the use of other mic transformers mounted in the Power Supply case.
Is this correct? Can you still use the internal BV12 with the AMI Kit?
I want two kits just not sure which one.

The Kit does not have the same mic PCB ,  the AMI/External mic pcb is smaller and it is not the same layout as of C9,  the goal is to allow enough room to put the AMI transformer in the mic,
The Reason for that is the AMI is much bigger transformer,
since the AMI contains a smaller mic pcb it will eventually allow the use of coming ! wired transformer.
The BV12 Kit  mic pcb include the Max Low Profile transformer package direct on PCB , They are no Direct Package of the AMI on the mic pcb. the transformer is too big,
Hope this helps,

Dan,

There will be Actually a little more space than the picture depict but not alot,   :p

Attachments

• Terrebonne-20120828-00426.jpg
    Terrebonne-20120828-00426.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 95
MKBV12 Mic Pcb is muche bigger,  that will give some perspective on the size of both transformer, 
dan,

Edit : Actually did not have a preference either so I built one version of each  ;)
;D

Attachments

• MBV12 K.gif
    MBV12 K.gif
    99.9 KB · Views: 110
Or Like That ,  Different Stroke for Different Folks ,
:)

Attachments

• Terrebonne-20120823-00337.jpg
    Terrebonne-20120823-00337.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 113
I'd like to build two of these but not sure how much they're going to cost all up... I'm guessing everything is included in this kit except the microphone body? where are they sold?

Thanks!

braeden said:
I'd like to build two of these but not sure how much they're going to cost all up... I'm guessing everything is included in this kit except the microphone body? where are they sold?

Thanks!

The name of the thread is: D-U67 Tube Mic Complete PCB Kit (Pre-Order)...  ;)

To my understanding there is a pcb set for the mic and a pcb for the PSU.  As to components, it's source your own time.  The 'kits' refered to are sets of pcbs. 

Poctop,
Edit : "Actually did not have a preference either so I built one version of each" 
Could you describe the difference in sound between the two versions?
Still on the fence

Studio Mollan said:
Hi!
Nice job!
I'm in for 4 sets but i'll wait for the second batch.
Is the BOM for 110v only or international? I think i saw a 110v primary transformer in there.
/
Emil

Emil,
The 230V Triad is 115/230 but the 20V Hammond in the BOM is only 115V
Here is an alternative for your mains but there is a lead time

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/186B20/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvyQPvPmwnNFGyR%2fQB%252b1BzrOY%3d

It looks like the 115V Pri 20V Sec Hammond in the BOM is looking non stocked as well

Dave

wave said:
Studio Mollan said:
Hi!
Nice job!
I'm in for 4 sets but i'll wait for the second batch.
Is the BOM for 110v only or international? I think i saw a 110v primary transformer in there.
/
Emil

Emil,
The 230V Triad is 115/230 but the 20V Hammond in the BOM is only 115V
Here is an alternative for your mains but there is a lead time

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/186B20/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvyQPvPmwnNFGyR%2fQB%252b1BzrOY%3d

It looks like the 115V Pri 20V Sec Hammond in the BOM is looking non stocked as well

Dave

I noticed the same thing Dave,

Are any of these non 230 options suitable?

http://www.mouser.com/Power/Transformers/Power-Transformers/_/N-8u9n5?P=1z0wd7dZ1z0wd3m

Hi Dany,

I would like to feel/pre-order the following (declaring my intent to order):
2x U67 ioaudio trafo PCB kits. That is PCB's for ending up with two DU67 mic's and related PSU's.
5x Old style U87 (original smaller taper boads)

This is a feeler right? Not official order?

Let us know when to place the order.

Thx!
-jb

Winetree said:
Poctop,
Edit : "Actually did not have a preference either so I built one version of each" 
Could you describe the difference in sound between the two versions?
Still on the fence

I would say that the U67 sounds awsome with both traffo , to me the U67 sounds like the in between the U47 and the U87 sounds but with the Tube sounds as  a creamer,
i would say that IOaudio Transfo is more on the U47 side  and the AMI on the 87 side both i really love both,
Cheers,  :)
Hope this helps,
dany,

canidoit said:
How about the power supply for this?

Is there a kit for that?

The PSU PCB is indeed included in the Kit , the BOM folder and the BOM have also been posted in the Forst page make sure also to check the BOM annexe File , 

0dbfs said:
Hi Dany,

I would like to feel/pre-order the following (declaring my intent to order):
2x U67 ioaudio trafo PCB kits. That is PCB's for ending up with two DU67 mic's and related PSU's. 
Correct  :)
5x Old style U87 (original smaller taper boads) OK, 

This is a feeler right? Not official order?  it is sort of in between not order nor feeler just firm intent so i can gauge the number of PcB as the first Run will be somehow limited, and i wold like to let know Folks if i am out , but no yet  :p

Let us know when to place the order. 
Will do ,
thanks Jb,
Thx!
-jb

Jim50hertz said:
As to components, it's source your own time. 
Complete Bom has been posted on page 1
the only difference for international 230V, is the 20VAC traffo,  and the fuse 0.1A instead of 0.2A  everything the same ,
The 'kits' refered to are sets of pcbs.
Correct
:)

thanks Jim,
Dan,

So basically the only 2 parts that is not 230V compatible is the hammond 20VAC and the PSU pilot Lamp wich i 120V evrything else is fine except the fuse will need to be 0.1A instead of a 0.2A for north America, i will be checking for an alternative but i am sure there is plenty of them you would need minimun 6VA traffo for the filament side,
Hope this helps,

Dan,

Back