G7 Grillmaterial

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefan

I´ve been searching for grill material and I think many of the brassmeshsizes I´ve been able to find(in Sweden that is) feels kind of soft, and may not be strong enough to withstand everyday use in the studio. My question is: would a steelmesh work or would it produce more ringing in the grill?

[quote author="gyraf"]Steel is fine. I use that. But it's not easy to solder - use epoxy glue in stead. Make sure you get a good grounding though.

Jakob E.[/quote]I was thinking of using a steel net and then using a finer mesh for an inner layer to keep stuff from falling in to the mic while storing it, plus I think it might look nice. Would grounding the inner layer be enough for hum cancelling purposes? this would be easier as this would allow me to solder onto the inner layer wich is brass.

[quote author="stefan"][quote author="gyraf"]Steel is fine. I use that. But it's not easy to solder - use epoxy glue in stead. Make sure you get a good grounding though.

Jakob E.[/quote]I was thinking of using a steel net and then using a finer mesh for an inner layer to keep stuff from falling in to the mic while storing it, plus I think it might look nice. Would grounding the inner layer be enough for hum cancelling purposes? this would be easier as this would allow me to solder onto the inner layer wich is brass.[/quote]

Stefan,

Before you make any desision, I'd suggest to listen with a finer mesh and without, first. The finer stuff seems to affect the sound more than course one, and is more responsible for standing waves and in-grill diffractions. Usually, I find the outer mesh quite sufficient for suppressing noise, and for my applications like the sound better without inner one.

Latest posts

Back