MA1 GERMANIUM mic pre support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find difficult to read the color codes
Get yourself a good meter and measure the values.
You should have one if your doing DIY builds.
It saves time and making mistakes.

manulaudic said:
Hi all, i am finally putting this kit together... i got the kit with all resistors etc... and i am wondering on some values... For example R6 should be 27ohm which should give me red-purple-black-gold-brown but the resistor i have is red-purple-yellow-gold-brown which is 27,4 ohm... Or am i missing something?

Same thing goes to the 10Mohm one. My resistor is brown-brown-black-green-brown thats 11Mohm...

I am new to figuring out colours and values but somehow this feels already odd... Could anyone show me some light?

Manu

Hi Manu,

these resistors don't need to be very precise, I have designed the MA1 with high tollerance components, so it can accept Res with tollerance of 10% just to permit to use also NOS carbon resistors if the diyers want using them. But it should not be a surprise since I have designed the MA1 with old and modern design. On the past using 10% res was normal.
For example for R6, 27 ohm is only a value, if the res is a 33 ohm it runs the same. 

Pier Paolo   

alright !
thanks very much for your help.I'll keep on doing it :)
So i can use the resistors you've provided for example 11kohm instead or 10kohm? should ne fine?

winetree, i'm going to start measuring from now on:)
Manu

all resistors included on the kits are nearest to the design values since I have had the possibility to order them with large stocks  8),
I have written on the BOM the E12 classic values to make easy to find them and since in any case MA1 can accept res with 10% of tollerance  ;)

Just built a pair of these. Great kits(!!!!), quick and easy to put together, and they sound absolutely fantastic!

Instead of replacing the DI with a fader or attanuator I just lower the input on the compressor inline and get access to the fat harmonics when pusing the germanium transistor hard. Built with EA in and out(litz) transformers from capi-gear. Like someone else mentioned in this thread before, the EA input is great for adding harmonics to the lower freq making it really suitable on bass heavy sources. I don't want to part with the DI because it's so cool on bass guitar. Actually for a thick, full el-guitar sound as well 8) So far haven't had time to try them on anything else. Just wanted to let everybody know how cool these pre's are. Absolutely recommended! Thanks Pier  :)

Attachments

• 20160813_163441_2.jpg
    20160813_163441_2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
Hey ferrochrome,
Looks great, also the other pres in your lunchbox.
Which resistors do you change to get lower output ?
I want to use the MA1 for my drums.
I can't wait till they get back in stock.

manulaudic said:
Hi ! i lost the BOM could anyone send it to me?
Thanks
Manu

All docs sent by email.
thanks for contacting and posting.
Best regards
Pier Paolo

I finally finished this unit, I purchased it in 2013 and forgot about it for so many years.
Pier Paolo helped me get through every issue I had and he build was a pleasure to do !

It sounds fantastic, not as beefy as my neveish pre but it has some real nice warm harmonics that definitely fit well with tracking vocals for my use.

I recommend it !

M

Hi Pier,

I'm going to use Haufe ST8456 and CINEMAG CMOQ-2S. Do you know what i need for C31, R21 AND R22 ?
Thanks

Julien

How can I tell if I have version 1 that does not need the jumper mod, and version 2 that does need the jumper mod?

Mine arrived with the op-amp section already pre-built for me, but the mod was not done.

My kit has been in storage for several years. I've been a bad DIY-er and should have my card revoked. :|

Send me a photo just to know better the build. I am sending you a pm with my email.

Thanks Pier. I sent you a photo of the circuit board.

But I figured it couldn't hurt to do the mod, which only took about 10 minutes. If I had a major ground loop, I would just undo the mod. I used a small wire jumper so it would be easy to remove if necessary.

thing.jpg

I plugged it in and it sounds fantastic. I recorded a vocal take with it this evening and it's very nice. Thanks for making this project available. It's a thing of beauty.

thing2.jpg

Thanks for the answer TillM.
I don´t Know it is a russian site so, i can´t buy from there now.
I can get an lundhall for the input, but i what can i use for the output here in europe¿?
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back