CS8406 question, calling digital guru's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truzz

Hi,
I'm experimenting with an A-D, using a CS8406 as digital audio transmitter in 'Hardware Mode -A-', slave,
transmitting through AES cable recording to an old Fostex D-5 DAT,
The fact:
Independently of the OMCLK, BCK, LRCLK settings,
the DAT recorder locks to the 44.1kHz only if I set the COPY/C port [pin 1] low,
and 48kHz if the port is high.
Do you think this is normal?

If yes, what are the combinations for the other sample frequencies? (88.2, 96, 174 and 192)

Suggestions welcome.

truzz said:
Hi,
I'm experimenting with an A-D, using a CS8406 as digital audio transmitter in 'Hardware Mode -A-', slave,
transmitting through AES cable recording to an old Fostex D-5 DAT,
The fact:
Independently of the OMCLK, BCK, LRCLK settings,
the DAT recorder locks to the 44.1kHz only if I set the COPY/C port [pin 1] low,
and 48kHz if the port is high.
Do you think this is normal?

If yes, what are the combinations for the other sample frequencies? (88.2, 96, 174 and 192)

Suggestions welcome.

The copy protection bit is supposed to be honored by a recording device only if using the "consumer" format (44.1 kHz). I don't think it has any effect on other frequencies.

You can look at page 29 of the data sheet, Table 2. To determine the copyright you have to take into consideration the pin ORIG. Applies to all sampling frequencies. The data sheet you find on the site of Cirrus Logic.

Fabio

Back