Peavey-AMR VC/L-2 upgrades anyone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraware

Hello all,

I have put together a vinyl mastering suite based around a Neumann VMS-70/SAL-74b/SX-74/Sp-75 combo. I am looking for some essential outboard gear. I have located a used Peavy VC/L-2 tube compressor/limiter (elop style with EL84 tube) but cannot "try before I buy" it. These are well regarded, it seems, as being a killer deal. Has anyone upgraded/modified one of these to "mastering" grade? Or even used one for program compression?

I would love any and all suggestions that will help me avoid dropping the big dollars on a Manley, DW fearn, etc. etc.

Cheers,

Erik

I can't answer your question, having never used one; but if you need the schematic, let me know. I inherited a large number of PV schematics when a repair shop I worked for closed (and they still owed me back pay), and I think that compressor is among them.

NYDave, could you check the schematic to see if the Peavey is based on an actual EL panel GR element?

The PV Pre of the same vintage was really incredible, reichenbach input and output transformers, sealed relays for every switched function. Nothing solid state in the signal path. Only lacked a sexy brand name!

...EDIT...

ALSO....

http://www.amptone.com/peaveyvcl2.htm

Peavey's dual channel VC/L2 all valve compressor/limiter contains no solid state devices in the audio chain with an EL84 valve and an electro-luminescent panel at its heart. The latter is claimed to offer the best aspects of bulbs and LEDs. There are two 12AX7s for each channel while their output stages use a two-stage 12AT7 valve for a +20dBm output. Inputs and outputs are transformer balanced with 1/4-inch jacks provided for instrument and line inputs. Peavey, US. Tel: +1 601 483 5365.

At the AES Nov 1997, Peavey debuted its first all-tube, dual channel VC/L-2 Valve Compressor/Limiter, which complements the company's VMP2 all-tube mic preamplifier introduced last year. Peavey claims the VC/L-2 contains no solid state opto-isolators, opto-couplers or opto-diodes. The unit features an EL84 tube and custom electro-luminescent panel. There are two 12AX7 tubes for each channel and the output stage of each channel uses a two-stage 12AT7 tube, which results in a +20dBm output. Retail price on the VC/L-2 is $1,299.99.

Thanks. I always try and get my hands on the schematics for gear I buy. So if I pick it up I'll get in touch. Looking at the pictures I see only threshold and gain-no attack or release adjustments other then the Compressor/limiter toggle. Hmm, I know simple is nice sometimes, but I think for my purposes those features would need to be added in.

Cheers,

Erik

[quote author="extraware"]Thanks. I always try and get my hands on the schematics for gear I buy. So if I pick it up I'll get in touch. Looking at the pictures I see only threshold and gain-no attack or release adjustments other then the Compressor/limiter toggle. Hmm, I know simple is nice sometimes, but I think for my purposes those features would need to be added in.

Cheers,

Erik[/quote]

How much money would they like for the comp?

Ny Dave--If you get a chance to scan or copy the schems, I'd love to have a copy myself, as I have a VCL2.

Erik--one thing about this unit that might be problematic for you is it is not stereo. Stereo linking might be troublesome &/or not as effective as you'd want it to be.

Tom[/quote]

"Ny Dave--If you get a chance to scan or copy the schems, I'd love to have a copy myself, as I have a VCL2.

Erik--one thing about this unit that might be problematic for you is it is not stereo. Stereo linking might be troublesome &/or not as effective as you'd want it to be."

Tom, I was told that PV will add a stereo link feature if you send the unit in-although I have no idea how well it is executed.

How would you describe this units sound character? Have you used on the stereo mix?

(BTW: Since I am new here, I want to clarify my first post. I have no problem with the higher end makers of mastering gear. I am actively searching info on items by Millennia, Gyraf, Requisite, etc. Just I can't afford them all right now+I love to "beat the system" and find ways to save money by upgrading or DIY projects. Peace to all the pro gear builders here!)
[/quote]

[quote author="zmix"][quote author="extraware"]Thanks. I always try and get my hands on the schematics for gear I buy. So if I pick it up I'll get in touch. Looking at the pictures I see only threshold and gain-no attack or release adjustments other then the Compressor/limiter toggle. Hmm, I know simple is nice sometimes, but I think for my purposes those features would need to be added in.

Cheers,

Erik[/quote]

How much money would they like for the comp?[/quote]

$600. Two previous owners. No idea on life left in the tubes. Good deal?

I believe the PV actually does use an EL panel, but we'll know for sure once I dig out the schematic.

Give me a few days, though, because the schematic currently lives in a filing cabinet that has a bunch of other junk piled up in front of it...

I just got a schematic on the thing from PV hizself..

The EL-84 is used to drive the EL panel and it's on one of their nasty 'breakaway' boards.

I could possibly upload the schemo, it's around 600k, is that size allowed?

[quote author="extraware"]

How much money would they like for the comp?[/quote]

$600. Two previous owners. No idea on life left in the tubes. Good deal?[/quote]

I'd love to hear one. I've got an LA-3A and the entire audio path is 6 transistors, fantastic sounding....

I'd buy the PV, although I primarily mix, and the previous comment about linking the channels in stereo may have some bearing on your ability to use it for mastering.

Why not buy it, use it on a few gigs, and sell it to me for $500?

Unfortunately, I am on my F&^%*ing MAC today, which completely CRIPPLES you from simple HTML editing....

HEre at long last, the PV schematic:

http://www.zmix.net/pub/

Just I can't afford them all right now+I love to "beat the system" and find ways to save money by upgrading or DIY projects. Peace to all the pro gear builders here!)

The RNC's don't sound half bad. At $200 for a stereo unit it's hard to beat. You could always stick it in a nicer box for sex appeal.

Looking over the PV schematic... From a purely technical standpoint, I don't like the gain makeup amp. But looking at the schematic doesn't tell me whether or not it'll sound "cool."

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Looking over the PV schematic... From a purely technical standpoint, I don't like the gain makeup amp. But looking at the schematic doesn't tell me whether or not it'll sound "cool."[/quote]
At least it's single ended!, not PP like some clones out there.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]And why does that make it better?

The real LA-2A had a push-pull output stage.[/quote]

Not quite push pull, looks more like a cascode.

Form my point of view, single ended is better because I happen to like 2nd harmonic distortion, and push pull cancels that harmonic.

I believe that what people dislike about solid state can be directly traced to PP output stages, and I have heard some awful PP tube outputs in EQ and Limiter designs.

I rekkon that every piece of outboard I use in a mix is going to clip at some point during a song, and I had better like what that sounds like!! But, then I push my gear hard, YMMV...

[quote author="zmix"]Not quite push pull, looks more like a cascode.[/quote]

No dude, that's not a cascode. That's a White cathode follower. It is push-pull and it does tend to cancel 2H distortion.

my point of view, single ended is better because I happen to like 2nd harmonic distortion, and push pull cancels that harmonic.

Well, cancelling distortion would be a GOOD thing if you're after fidelity, which I think would be the main object in a mastering operation, but what do I know? :wink: I DO know that if I send my mix to a mastering house, I don't want them adding "interesting" distortion to it. But I grant you that the role of mastering houses has changed. It used to be that the mark of a good mastering job was that it didn't call attention to itself. Nowadays, ME's want to stamp their "signature" all over the record.

I believe that what people dislike about solid state can be directly traced to PP output stages

Care to elaborate? If that's the case, then why do my old McIntosh and even Dynaco amps--all of them push-pull--sound so damn good? How about Pultec EQs, Langevin 5116Bs, Universal Audio 1016s, Langevin AM16s? All of these are completely push-pull, and all are generally regarded as excellent-sounding. Maybe you don't share the "majority opinion" of these units, and that's fine, but that doesn't mean push-pull is crap.

EDIT: Whoops, Zmix, I'm sorry. I got you confused with the original poster, who's setting up a mastering suite. You already said that you mix and don't master. But still, I stand by my statement that a blanket condemnation of push-pull isn't fair.

Back