Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance will have to see some completed mic before the end of the world (21 dec-2012),  ;D
just a toughts,    :)
happy building still,  :)
Best,  ;)
Dan,

Hey guys i had a chance to spent some time listening to a D-u47 fet.
Sweet microphone i cant wait to finish mine!!!! im really impressed with how they sound!
Im building mine asap!

Thanks Dany you're a good friend and a nice people!

Hi Guys,

Im working on building some U47 bodies as per the picture below, also hopefully gonna have an interchangeable head basket U67 style so i can have the U67 guts in it.
Also the middle section can have bits cut out for putting in the switches.
As soon as i get some pictures i'll post up on here.

Attachments

• U47.jpg
    U47.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 49
poctop said:
Any chance will have to see some completed mic before the end of the world (21 dec-2012),  ;D
Best,  ;)
Dan,

I'll be using either an RK47 or a Dale M7, depending on which circuit I prefer. I'll have it done before too long though  8)

Enchilada said:
poctop said:
Best,  ;)
Dan,

I'll be using either an RK47 or a Dale M7, depending on which circuit I prefer. I'll have it done before too long though  8)

thanks I will stay tuned,
D. :)

poctop said:
Best,  ;)
Dan,

Here's a shot of my 47fet, temporally in the u67 body until the gt-2b comes in. I've only recorded some tambourine, stomps, and a little kick drum so far, which it sounds great on. My only wonder is how it will sound if I upgrade my capsule to something like a ADK k47. It currently has the equinox capsule in it. Fun build, thanks dan! -ted

Attachments

• insidefront.jpg
    insidefront.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 207
I recorded a little sample of the U47fet !

The U47fet has a CM-2480 and a RK-47 in a T-bone SCT-700's body !

The sample was recorded into bad conditions, no preamp, noise from the audio interface, noise of the computer, bad acoustic of the room, improvisation played badly.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/82172012/U47Fet%204.mp3 (No Eq, No dynamic processor, just a send reverb)

Yes, that come from the guitar !

The U47fet is one of the few micros happens to well defined this guitar without low-cut, which keeps low frequencies. Usually with others mics, the sound is confused and unclear !

the store will be open today only and then back Jan 7th 2013
Thanks all,
Dan,

Hey all,
Having some trouble at first fire-up. Just getting a loud and steady low-frequency hum at the output. Everything appears to be assemble correctly, but obviously I need to look a little closer. What your first guess when getting nothing but ~60 cycle hum?
thanks!
JS

skidmorebay said:
Hey all,
Having some trouble at first fire-up. Just getting a loud and steady low-frequency hum at the output. Everything appears to be assemble correctly, but obviously I need to look a little closer. What your first guess when getting nothing but ~60 cycle hum?
thanks!
JS

Testing with the body/headbasket off? That's the 1st guess  :)

2nd: something isn't assembled correctly, bad joint, something touching the body that shouldn't etc.

2nd: something isn't assembled correctly, bad joint, something touching the body that shouldn't etc.

Thanks, Pasarski. I was testing with the body off. I am brand new to microphones, and have some things to learn. I assumed that since I had continuity between pin 1 of the xlr to the GND pad on the PCB that I was OK, even with the body tube off.
The mic is working clearly and quietly now.
Pin 1 is connected to the mic body on the donor body I used (MXL 4000). Does the mic body do anything besides act as a shield when connected to Pin 1?

Another question for the group - I was unable to match transistors at home. Where in the circuit is it particularly important to match transistors and resistors? Any simple suggestions for matching the transistors?
thanks.

skidmorebay said:

Thanks, Pasarski. I was testing with the body off. I am brand new to microphones, and have some things to learn. I assumed that since I had continuity between pin 1 of the xlr to the GND pad on the PCB that I was OK, even with the body tube off.
The mic is working clearly and quietly now.
Pin 1 is connected to the mic body on the donor body I used (MXL 4000). Does the mic body do anything besides act as a shield when connected to Pin 1?

Another question for the group - I was unable to match transistors at home. Where in the circuit is it particularly important to match transistors and resistors? Any simple suggestions for matching the transistors?
thanks.

The body also protects the electronics and keeps the mic user safe from shock(tube mics run at high voltages).

There is only one transistor in that circuit. Are you referring to capacitors?

As far as I know, the capsule needs to be matched more so than the circuit, but matching the IDss of the 1N3819's you intend to use would put them at a similar setting for volume and headroom.

-James-

Latest posts

Back