Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried Dan's suggestion of changing the size of C1 to 1000pf to see how it affects the bass response. All I can say after a limited test on acoustic guitar is that this didn't seem to cause a major change in the sound of the mic (on acoustic guitar...). I put the 2200pf cap back in after the test.
I will definitely be interested in trying this again when I get a chance to record a real bass instrument or kick drum to see if it adds any thing. The low end on my mic seems really nice. So far as I can tell there isn't a need to alter the schematic to address thin sound - at least with the capsule and transformer I used (Neumann K47 and AMI 47fet).

What do you do with the inside parts after you strip them out of the GT-2B mics.
The transformers, PSB with tubes, Capsules. Going to replace them all.
Same with the 7 pin cable. Was going to use it for the DU-67s,
but went with the Gotham GAC-7.
Try to sell them or throw them away?
I don't know if I'll ever use them.

I just tried the Fet47 on bass this last weekend. I just want to say that it is beautiful the way it captures the bass. Absolutely beautiful. I used a T49 transformer from AMI and a Peluso capsule. Thanks for making this possible. The fet47 has been one of my dream mics for a long time and to make the entire thing for under $400 (luckily already had the capsule!) is just unbelievable.

Danny is à Nice guy, dont worry, i know him on person.
Besides he ships once à week i think.. you should get your stuff soon.

khstudio said:
Just ordered a PCB a few days ago & was wondering if you got my order & if it shipped out yet?

Thanks

yes Shipped February 4 th,

Best,
Dan,

Question about Transistors:

I have several BC184C but no "B"... the HFE is a little higher.
Will they work OK or do you think they'd be too out of spec or worse, make the mic not work or "sound" as it should?

I also don't have BC212 but do have some BC214... "Same question as above"

Thanks,
Kevin

khstudio said:
Question about Transistors:

I have several BC184C but no "B"... the HFE is a little higher.
Will they work OK or do you think they'd be too out of spec or worse, make the mic not work or "sound" as it should?

I also don't have BC212 but do have some BC214... "Same question as above"

Thanks,
Kevin

you can go higher HFE but not Lower ,  that is why they specify a minimum value sometimes to ensure the proper amplifier overall gain ,
Best,
Dan,

Hi Guys,

thought i'd post something of me using the U47 FET and U67 in a recording.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Emily-and-Spence/423697837714350?sk=app_204974879526524

The U47 FET was on the acoustic guitar with a tiny bit of compression from an ART Pro VLA.
The U47 FET has a sowter 9610 transformer in it with a RK47 capsule.
On vocals I had the U67 with erics capsule K67 with Sowter 1303 transformer in it and Telefunken EF86 red dot silver plate.
Had 2 U87's in the room and mixed them in a little for ambience and also a Golden Age R2 with a Sowter 8074 transformer in it over the violin.
Would be interested in what people think.

regards

Spence.

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi Guys,

thought i'd post something of me using the U47 FET and U67 in a recording.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Emily-and-Spence/423697837714350?sk=app_204974879526524

The U47 FET was on the acoustic guitar with a tiny bit of compression from an ART Pro VLA.
The U47 FET has a sowter 9610 transformer in it with a RK47 capsule.
On vocals I had the U67 with erics capsule K67 with Sowter 1303 transformer in it and Telefunken EF86 red dot silver plate.
Had 2 U87's in the room and mixed them in a little for ambience and also a Golden Age R2 with a Sowter 8074 transformer in it over the violin.
Would be interested in what people think.

regards

Spence.

AAAAAAAAsome Just woke up and listen to it and sounds so sweet and creamy,  this will be a nice day ,
not sure if this is all of D-mic models but i just dig it so much ,
Thanks for doing this , 
Best,
Dan,

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi Guys,

yeah i'll try and get them all to soundcloud.
Yes Dany they are all your pcbs!! sound pretty good to me!!.

regard

Spence.

is the other tune are same setup because i just listening i am so much enjoying this ,
Dan,

It was all done live within 45 minutes, emily the singer only had an hour, so we setup the mics she came round and me and emily just played the songs, rough mix, and bounced down.
that was it!!

regards

Spence.

Back