Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more quick question. I just noticed this build doesn't seem to have switches. Were those parts of the U47FET circuit ignored? Is it possible to add switches to the PCB and just have the switches inside the body? Or were the switches left off the pcb totally? Thanks a lot for putting up with my ignorance haha

found that on another thread he Dave Grohl Mic bass drum technique with a U47FET,  tought i'd post it here,
Best Realized with a supercardiod mic Like the FET47

Dan,

Attachments

• grohlkick.jpg
    grohlkick.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 225
Melodeath00 said:
One more quick question. I just noticed this build doesn't seem to have switches. Were those parts of the U47FET circuit ignored? Is it possible to add switches to the PCB and just have the switches inside the body? Or were the switches left off the pcb totally? Thanks a lot for putting up with my ignorance haha

you can wire a switch to pcb or use the internal jumper setting for pad and Low Cut if needs be,
Best,
D

poctop said:
found that on another thread he Dave Grohl Mic bass drum technique with a U47FET,  tought i'd post it here,

Dan,
What is going on there!? Look at all the mic cables going into that love tunnel! I'd sure like to know...

kevinkace said:
poctop said:

Dan,
What is going on there!? Look at all the mic cables going into that love tunnel! I'd sure like to know...

+1  at least some mic cable are going in there so it cannot be misinterpreted
;D

Thought i'd re post this to see what people thought.

Hi Guys,

here are a few more sound samples from when I first plugged in the U47 FET.
Drums were recorded one U47 FET in front of the kick drum in the middle, not in front of the sound hole, in the middle of the drum about 4-5 inches away. (eq'd in protools, took all the top end off and boosted at 50hz and raise the low end a little)
The overhead was to the right of where i sat on the drum with the U47 FET above my head pointed at the snare.
The Cello had the U47 FET point at the F holes on the bottom and a SE1A about head hight point at the middle of the fret board, then the level mixed in.
Both recordings have a little bit of compression on them, and no EQ apart form the kick drum.
A little verb on each as well.

Bear in mind these were slapped together pretty quickly!!!, let me know what you guys think.

https://soundcloud.com/spencer-lee-horton/sets/u47-fet-testing

regards

Spence.

heres my version!!
its on the works yet! it features a cheap capsule and a cheap transformer.....
However im not ready to test as theres 2 resistors missing...

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0418 (640x264).jpg
    IMAG0418 (640x264).jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 210
Heres my completed DU47Fet.
Its really a great sounding microphone, even with a cheap capsule and transformer.
Actually the transformer who is actually a mic pre transformer , I got it from a Christmass thread back in 2008 was a prototype by Ed Anderson, built by Edcor, ratios are at 1:10 if im right, i know is Ed Anderson cuz it says EA on one side.

Capsule got it from a Studio Projects B1 wich i got for free from someone.

Body is a MXL4000 that Dany kindly offered me!

Thanks once again to Dany for his efforts to capture better sounds!

Attachments

• good2 (383x640).jpg
    good2 (383x640).jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 188
ChuckD is letting go of some B-stock M7's with slightly higher capacitance than the usual ones (120-190pF, usually 90-120pF). Is it possible to use these in the u47FET, and which adaptations needs to be made?

LesPaul said:
ChuckD is letting go of some B-stock M7's with slightly higher capacitance than the usual ones (120-190pF, usually 90-120pF). Is it possible to use these in the u47FET, and which adaptations needs to be made?

the U47FET mic is probably the most forgiveable mic on this type of capsule , and at Chuck liquidation price i think that worths the bet,
My 0.02
Best,
Dan,

A thread about that ,
here,

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51391.0

LesPaul said:

The advice on the other thread seemed to be "Try it and see" ..  ;D

Tommy Radonicus said:
LesPaul said:

The advice on the other thread seemed to be "Try it and see" ..  ;D

I might as well do that:)

Would the MXL 2006 be suitable for this build? It has a width of 50mm, which should be good enough. But I don't know the height.

Back