Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks For the kind Word , always appreciate the feedback.
I tried to acess the photo but i could not , might just be some delay in the server since it is freshly uploaded.  :)
Best,
Dan,

Did you use Cinemag reprodution of the 47FET ?

how did you like it ,  :)

Thanks for the updates,

Best,
DAn,

yeah, the cinemag-transformer. i like it quite a lot. haven't really used it yet tough. i did a little shootout today between the d-u87, 67 and 47fet. the 47fet was the brightest in the very highs and the 67 the smoothest, didn't expect that. but all sound damn good. the 47fet has a nice presence-boost and less lower mids than the 87 and 67. need to shoot'em out against the real deal and will soon :)

if the lc-jumper is in, lc is in on the 47fet, right? i heard the 47fet is a bass-strong mic, but on voice it seems thinner than the other 2 mics, since it has less lower mids. could be the positioning as well, never easy to place big mics close enough...

if the lc-jumper is in, lc is in on the 47fet, right?
Correct,

The Overall sound will also depends on the capsule you have in there  ;)
Best,
Dan, :)

yeah, capsules are mid to lowcost.

-beesneez phelicity k47 in the 47fet
-peluso k87 in the 87
-chinese k67 in the 67 (from chungers syt-5)

will upgrade capsules, if the comparison to the real neumanns isn't too favorable. but i have high expectations ;) and i think the d-u67 sounds perfectly smooth, no need for a smoother capsule. perhaps a neumann would sound a little clearer in the mids, we'll see

Hi Guys,

I'm about to enter the final stage of my build: installing the M7 capsule.
But before I screw anything up(it's my first mic build), I wan't to double check some things.
The capsule is a Thiersch M7 with two wires on the back/front.
I've read many of the posts on the board, but I'd like to clear-up the following with regards to the wiring:

-If I solder one wire to front(pcb marking) and other to back(pcb marking) I get super cardioid?
-If I solder both wires to front and none to back (with a switch between one of the wires) I could make a cardioid/omni ?
-In both cases do I need to attach a third wire from the capsule mount to ground?

Hope you can confirm/correct my questions. I'll post pictures as soon as the build is finished.

All the best,

Lucas

Luax said:
Hi Guys,

I'm about to enter the final stage of my build: installing the M7 capsule.
But before I screw anything up(it's my first mic build), I wan't to double check some things.
The capsule is a Thiersch M7 with two wires on the back/front.
I've read many of the posts on the board, but I'd like to clear-up the following with regards to the wiring:

the wiring of this mic capsule is that the backplate (  metal middle portion)  goes to ground via the BCK pad there 2 pads but only one is labeled BCK and this one shows continuity trough  the large pad F and the front capsule goes to the floating connection of R1 and C1 , there is no circuitry for polarisation of the back capsule as it is a FET47 and the resulting pattern is the one that make the U47FET know for that is the super-cardiod

-If I solder one wire to front(pcb marking) and other to back(pcb marking) I get super cardioid?
-If I solder both wires to front and none to back (with a switch between one of the wires) I could make a cardioid/omni ?
-In both cases do I need to attach a third wire from the capsule mount to ground?

the third wire left will be the one from the back capsule diaphragme and this one should be isolated wih a shrink wrap and do no connect

Hope you can confirm/correct my questions. I'll post pictures as soon as the build is finished.

looking forward to see picture of your build ,

Also make a special atention for the capsule screw mount not to touch the headbasket you may want to move them or use the side one , as the capsule his sitting high in the headbasket ,

All the best,

Lucas

It is always of good pratice to always have a copy of the original schemactic while doing the Work,
hope this helps,

Best,
DAn,

Hi folks,

Just a few words to say that I ordered a pair of CM-13101 transformers from Cinemag and I was amazed by the customer service !

In the minutes I've sent my mail for an inquiry, David Geren replied back giving me all the purchasing infos and the invoice was on my paypal account just after my next confirmation mail.

David is actually the one who designed this transformer. He is also the president of Cinemag.

I wish all companies were this nice and responsive !  ;D

Anyways, thanks to David from Cinemag for the care he has for his customers and the great products he gives life to !  8)

Cheers,
Stéphane.

Hello.

I almost finished my 2 D-U47. Just the transfo and capsule to connect (Cinemag cm-13101 and Beesneez K7). Should be done before the end of the day.
Thanks Dany for sharing those great projects ;)
Here are few pics :

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Dany=> I try to order M49 square pcb version but they aren't availlable. Do you plan to make new batch?

yoons said:
Hello.

I almost finished my 2 D-U47. Just the transfo and capsule to connect (Cinemag cm-13101 and Beesneez K7). Should be done before the end of the day.
Thanks Dany for sharing those great projects ;)
Here are few pics :

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Dany=> I try to order M49 square pcb version but they aren't availlable. Do you plan to make new batch?

Thanks for your posts  :) ,  very neat build  8)  for optimal results make sure the body of C1 is not touching the pcb.
one note on the backplate connection on the pad beside the label bck is actually connected to ground this is the one you will need to connect the back plate  ;)
Let me know how you like em once you get those new born fired up  :)

PMed you about the M49 square kit ,

Thanks Again, appreciate it ,
Best,
dAn,

Here are few samples :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzfd3zprd7baaed/B%26C.mp3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/msk3qcmatdjk3bq/Falling%20Star.mp3

Here is the chain used : D-U47 => GML 8302=> Antelope Orion 32
No eq/comp/fx.

To soon to make solid comment, but at the moment I love what I hear. Real vintage feel with soft high and great mids/low-mids.
We did a short selection before starting rec. We choose the DU47 over U87 (first generation, not the AI) and Audiotechnica AT4060.
U87 had to much highs for this voice and AT4060 was great but too much ssss.
I can post thoose samples too if someone is intersted.

More info from Dan about C1 :

when you say that it must not touch the pcb you mean 1mm is enough or should it be at good distance?
Cause I haven't noticed problem in sound, how does it translate?

Best,
Younes
barely to make sure air becomes the isolation 1mm is plenty enough,
Best,
DAn,

yoons said:
Here are few samples :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzfd3zprd7baaed/B%26C.mp3
https://cdn.groupbuilder.com/groupdiy/u/39511/58d0281993ed3.mp3

Here is the chain used : D-U47 => GML 8302=> Antelope Orion 32
No eq/comp/fx.

To soon to make solid comment, but at the moment I love what I hear. Real vintage feel with soft high and great mids/low-mids.
We did a short selection before starting rec. We choose the DU47 over U87 (first generation, not the AI) and Audiotechnica AT4060.
U87 had to much highs for this voice and AT4060 was great but too much ssss.
I can post thoose samples too if someone is intersted.

More info from Dan about C1 :

when you say that it must not touch the pcb you mean 1mm is enough or should it be at good distance?
Cause I haven't noticed problem in sound, how does it translate?

Best,
Younes
barely to make sure air becomes the isolation 1mm is plenty enough,
Best,
DAn,

Thanks Younes for this post , I am big Jazz Fan so i really appreciate it,  glad you happy with the results,
Best,
Dan,

Good morning
I'm in France and new on this forum.
What transformer for U47FET with R47 capsule : Cinemag 2480, 1303 Sowter, AMI T49 ??
Can you help me ?
The micro is for voice and guitare also.
Thank you for the answer
Pierre

wir68 said:
Good morning
I'm in France and new on this forum.
What transformer for U47FET with R47 capsule : Cinemag 2480, 1303 Sowter, AMI T49 ??
Can you help me ?
The micro is for voice and guitare also.
Thank you for the answer
Pierre

Wich mic body will you be using ,.
these are all excellent transformer, the most suitable would be the AMIT49 or the cinemag 13101 specifically design as a replica of the original by Dave at cinemag when i had sent him an original to play with for a while.  :)

http://cinemag.biz/mic_output/mic_output.php CM13101

Best,
D

I noticed Cinemag describes their CM13101 as having less distortion than the FET47 transformer yet "a similar THD at Fixed Frequency curve shape." Any idea what that means? And can they customize it to have more distortion? They mention there are different lamination choices based on the customer's preference.

Also, the ratio is 9.1:1, but AMI's T47 is 6.5:1. Odd.

Melodeath00 said:
I noticed Cinemag describes their CM13101 as having less distortion than the FET47 transformer yet "a similar THD at Fixed Frequency curve shape." Any idea what that means? And can they customize it to have more distortion? They mention there are different lamination choices based on the customer's preference.

Also, the ratio is 9.1:1, but AMI's T47 is 6.5:1. Odd.

The AMI T47 is for tube 47 wich is 6.5:1 the AMI T49 is 9:1 for this build,

you sure can ask dave at cinemag he is very receptive .  :)  PS: somtimes distorsion is better and sometimes not  ;)

Best,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Just had a question. Is the D-U47 suitable for a multi-pattern U47fet (8-cardio-omni) ? Just need a good microphone capsule and (the difficult stuff) the right body with a 3-position switch on ?

Thanks,
Yoh

Back