Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, this is a great forum!  Very helpful for a novice like myself.  I'm currently at the end of this build and I'm running into a problem with my Sowter 1303 F transformer.  The color code isnt lining up with the PCB color code and I can not for life of me find a chart for it.  The colors coming off of my transformer are Green Blue Brown Black and Grey, any idea how they correspond to the PCB?

Thanks for all the help, hope I can push this across the finish line!

notlenny2 said:
Hey guys, this is a great forum!  Very helpful for a novice like myself.  I'm currently at the end of this build and I'm running into a problem with my Sowter 1303 F transformer.  The color code isnt lining up with the PCB color code and I can not for life of me find a chart for it.  The colors coming off of my transformer are Green Blue Brown Black and Grey, any idea how they correspond to the PCB?

Thanks for all the help, hope I can push this across the finish line!

My PCB - sowter connections are:

BL - brown
VI - grey
BR - green
RT - blue
Ground - black

Thanks!  I wired it up and I have zero sound though.  I'm sure its through something i did wrong.  I'm just not quite sure how to go about finding the problem.  Pretty much in over my head at this point.  Any insight one where to start testing would be greatly appreciated!

Here's another happy build! It sounds so nice, I had to do a quick test. Once I'm back from vacation in a week, I'll record another little sample at my studio, so we can hear it through my REDD pre clone and other fun things.

Here's a quick test I recorded at my apartment, just through an apollo twin and with me playing my crappy student model acoustic I usually just use for songwriting.  The mic made the acoustic sound much more expensive, I think  :)

https://soundcloud.com/alex-dobbert/fet-47-test-1?hc_location=ufi

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 91
afdobbert said:
Here's another happy build! It sounds so nice, I had to do a quick test. Once I'm back from vacation in a week, I'll record another little sample at my studio, so we can hear it through my REDD pre clone and other fun things.

Here's a quick test I recorded at my apartment, just through an apollo twin and with me playing my crappy student model acoustic I usually just use for songwriting.  The mic made the acoustic sound much more expensive, I think  :)

https://soundcloud.com/alex-dobbert/fet-47-test-1?hc_location=ufi

Very Nice sounding Voice your have there  8),  let us know how you make out,
Thanks For posting ,
Best,
Dan,

poctop said:
acdc-angus said:
That's mine ! Finished  :D

(Click on for enlarge)

Video test :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMtOxiP0LBI

Yeah,  I really Enjoyed the Vid and the sound of the Axe.
Thanks for posting  8)
Best,
Dan,
Thanks to you Dan, for the help  ;)

And an another one, the last posted on GroupDiy. Follow me for more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UCZnPqavQ8

Good luck for the rest, see ya everyone ;D

KasperNyhus

I like your custom L mic mount for the U47Fet.  Where did you find the mic stand adapter part for it?  Is the L made of stainless?

Regards,
Jeff

poctop said:
Make sure your link A to F are Solid continuity , that might be your problem here [...]
Hope this helps,
Dan,

Hey Dany.  My second U47FET build, I'm having a problem.  VERY VERY low output.  Have to crank the gain on the mixer ALL the way up to hear any signal.  Quite a while back in these posts, I found something you had written (above).  So this means I should have solid continuity between PCB transformer pin 1 (T-49 "A") and ground?  I don't, so could this be the issue?  I'm quite confused.

I'm using your T-49 PCB.  The AMI T-49 transformer measurements: A-B (primary) reads 675 ohms.  C-D (secondary) reads 18.8 ohms.  Looks right to me.

Jimi Ray

******UPDATE - I removed the trim pot, bridged the connection and replaced R6 with the 6.8k resistor.  I also touched on all the solder joints with my iron.  The mic is now working fine.

Here's a vocal test done with the first D-47FET kit I built.  Thanks Dany :)

I used Marvin Gaye's actual multitracks for "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" and had my singer layer a new lead vocal over it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47755719/JaneyB-Motown/05%20I%20Heard%20It%20Through%20The%20Grapevine%20%28RS2-150322%29.mp3

Just finished ours..
Thiersch red line M7, cinemag 13101, body from Ruud, it was really difficult to assemble but I don't regret.
So here is the armature I've built with screws and epoxy :

You can also see the capsule holder I've made with a 3cm  aluminium tube slice someone cut for me..
Here is the XLR and some kind of structure to hold the transformer, and also a small pcb I've added for the LC and Pad switches :

Then the pcb and the transformer :

Then I just have to put the capsule and to put the mic inside the body, I've drilled 2 holes to access the switches :

The mesh (I bought on ebay some great stainless steel mesh sheets) :

Some polish and that's it :

6061339612.jpg

It's a very nice fet U47 in a kind of C12 body and last but not least, it sounds great!

saint gillis said:
  Just finished ours..
Thiersch red line M7, cinemag 13101, body from Ruud, it was really difficult to assemble but I don't regret.
So here is the armature I've built with screws and epoxy :

You can also see the capsule holder I've made with a 3cm  aluminium tube slice someone cut for me..
Here is the XLR and some kind of structure to hold the transformer, and also a small pcb I've added for the LC and Pad switches :

Then the pcb and the transformer :

Then I just have to put the capsule and to put the mic inside the body, I've drilled 2 holes to access the switches :

The mesh (I bought on ebay some great stainless steel mesh sheets) :

Some polish and that's it :

6061339612.jpg

It's a very nice fet U47 in a kind of C12 body and last but not least, it sounds great!

DIY at its best , Love it , thanks for posting ,
Best,
Dan,

Very impressive work, saint gillis, you clearly put a lot of effort into this!

It looks great and has a look of its own. I like it a lot!

How did you do the markings on the body, I mean the cardioid mark and text etc? Screen printing?
And did you put some clear cote over it?

I have been wondering about good ways to mark metal, such as the PSUs for instance, without the need for badges.
This looks like just the way to do it!

//Michael

Thank you Michael!
I used waterslide decals from Musikding, printed reverse, and put some spray matt varnish over it, at first it really looked like shit as there was some uggly drops over the body which had to stay right, but when it dried it was perfect..
I use this technic for frontpanels also, I failed several times before getting the right way to do it, and I still fail time to time, after putting the waterslide decals you can put your mic body/frontpanel at the oven  (progressive rise to 90°, ~3mins). If you have painted it you have to find the right varnish which goes with your paint, some might interact badly, and never put 2 layers, just one!

Howdy folks, this is my first post in this thread and my first mic build too... Just needing a bit of guidance and clarification... I used the Cinemag 13101 transformer and have hooked it up (left to right) yellow, orange, brown, red. Needing to verify this is correct... Also what do I do with the black (center tap?) wire? I have terminated at this time and just left it alone. I'm getting good sound through the mic though I may have wired the xlr out of phase cause it sounds a bit thin... Also could I get some jumper clarification? The two prong jumpe (LC I think) does that control something beside activating the phantom power because if I don't have that jumper installed the mic goes dead? The two 3prong jumpers are for padding correct? I have experimented with them and found the best level for my RME Fireface but just want to be clear on their defined functions.  I've been reading through the posts and just needed some extra help please. Very excited about the mic and have already ordered my second PCB for another U47 FET from Poctop... Oh and I used a capsule from MicAndMod the vintage 47 capsule. Thanks for the help!

Hi Jimi,
Thanks for the fast reply, I will rewire and see how that sounds! I'm actually at the airport right now flying out for a couple week gig but am excited about his build! What capsule(s) have you used?

Latest posts

Back