C800-G k67 Type Question / Mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a microphone using a circuit kind of like the sony 6au6 one in the c800g, same power supply voltage and operating points with the 6AU6.  I used a different, capsule(s), transformer, power supply, body.  I installed a number of different capsules.

The stock parts look fine in the pictures of the microphone PCB.

The stock C800G circuit is interesting.  I would guess the sound is more the capsule grill.

Gus said:
I built a microphone using a circuit kind of like the sony 6au6 one in the c800g, same power supply voltage and operating points with the 6AU6.  I used a different, capsule(s), transformer, power supply, body.  I installed a number of different capsules.

The stock C800G circuit is interesting.  I would guess the sound is more the capsule grill.

Hi Gus,

I remember reading your build at the time.

When you say the sound is more the grill are you just referring to it being more open? Its a dual layer unlike the three layer 67 and 87.

What other mic/circuit uses 230v B+ and 6.3 ht

I'm going to build this but need a PS for it.

JessJackson said:
Gus said:

Hi Gus,

I remember reading your build at the time.

When you say the sound is more the grill are you just referring to it being more open? Its a dual layer unlike the three layer 67 and 87.

What other mic/circuit uses 230v B+ and 6.3 ht

I'm going to build this but need a PS for it.

This may help. It's all in Japanese, though...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngohnof8to0ekhk/2011-10-08%2009.47.17.gif

I think changing the capsule may be a better option than changing the circuit. You could try a Tim Campbell Ck-12 style capsule. This is a bright sounding capsule but unlike the K67 design it is meant to be used with a flat amplifier. The top end sounds more elegant. Or if you'd like to change the voicing of your mic more radically, get a K47/K49 or M7 style capsule, for instance a Thiersch red line. That's a more balanced vintage sounding capsule type. Don't forget to buy a fitting capsule mount, if you go that road.

I know this is old ish thread now but I only just found it for myself, just wondering if Jessjackson tried swapping the capsules & up dates....thanks

Back