SS EQ573 vs LAZ EQN... For the true nevey tone.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGuitarist

After a neveish eq, and i guess it boils down to those two... it seems the sound skulptor would be better with the accompanying preamp to get the architecture... and the EQN has xformers...

anyone have an opinion?

500 series! To finish my lunchbox off for my portable rig. Its the last slot to fill.

Sorry should have specified i'm after 500 series, its for a portable system. Only have the single slot to fill and just need the eq.

in Peter's LA3A-500 thread, he mentioned development of the EQ-A, tho he hasn't released it yet.  No idea if it's neve or API clonage..  speaking of, I have both Colin's EZ1073-500 and Jeff's LC53A.  the frequency bands are super similar, and they sonically don't sound that different.  you might consider some of the API 550a-type clones that are out there, like Jeff's or Horvitz's T550A

I just have the LAZ eqn but it sounds really good! This weekend i will compare to the wunder eq in the studio i'm recording.
A friend tried the LAZ in his studio compared to his own BAE 1084 and told me that it was impressed because sounded very similar. Wish he had made some samples.
Would try to make samples between de wunder and laz eqn and upload here.

Soundskulptor kits are top quality from screw to resistor, is easy to build and you get everything you need in one box. I have two mp12 and six mp73 preamps and if the eq's are as goodsounding i wouldnt hesistate one second if i had the cash :)

I can say that I've build two of the soundskulpter  500 neve pres and as a kit they are complete
with excellent detailed instructions , hard to go wrong .  not sure about the other ones but
there seem to be good offerings out there .

I use my EQN pair on almost everything - always sounds good!

Great midrange boosts on guitars etc. Nice air bands for things that need to be bright. Fat low end with the bonus of the HPF to clean up the mud. Seems to have a sound that I can't get from any plugins I've tried....

Haven't had the chance to compare to a soundskulptor EQ.

Latest posts

Back