Made in the USA HK67 HK87 HK47 style capsules..AND NOW HK12 !!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My eyeball of the RK-12 was that is was a 67-type backplate assembly modified to work with an edge terminated capsule ring...that is certainly not the same as Eric's recreation...

If memory serves, the C12 has a center chamber for establishing a resonance between the two capsule halves which is missing on most copies:  most clones have the holes on each back plate that go through all the way to the other side.

Matador is completely correct, the original as well as Tim's ck12 are a chambered design that consist of a primary and secondary backplate that creates a pocket of air before the phase holes on the secondary plate. There are some amazing pictures on the web if you do a quick search.
My ck12 is modeled after the original chambered design and is exactly the same or at least as close as I can get it!! Me actually getting these going does involve me doing another run of Mylar coating. I only had a small amount of fully coated mylar for my prototyping of the ck12. So once I have that done I will be able to re skin any edge terminated style capsule. Just not for a little awhile! Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Thanks all
Eric

Eric,

I'm a long time mic moder/builder who goes by another name on some other sites. I dropped out for a while and tried to sign up here, but it looks like someone signed up under my old screen name (wasn't me). Anyway, I'm very interested in both your CK12 style capsules as well as the K47 style. I can pretty much guarantee you can put me down for at least one of each.

Phil

Great,

The 47 is available now the ck12 is actually still in the prototype stage and will be at least a month or so before they will be available. Just pm me and I can get you sorted.

Eric

tskguy said:
Matador is completely correct, the original as well as Tim's ck12 are a chambered design that consist of a primary and secondary backplate that creates a pocket of air before the phase holes on the secondary plate. There are some amazing pictures on the web if you do a quick search.
My ck12 is modeled after the original chambered design and is exactly the same or at least as close as I can get it!! Me actually getting these going does involve me doing another run of Mylar coating. I only had a small amount of fully coated mylar for my prototyping of the ck12. So once I have that done I will be able to re skin any edge terminated style capsule. Just not for a little awhile! Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Thanks all
Eric

Just as long as there is hope I'm fine with a wait of a month or 2. I just didn't wantto be waiting for a year plus like some will have to who are waiting for the other capsule... ;)

Just as long as there is hope I'm fine with a wait of a month or 2. I just didn't wantto be waiting for a year plus like some will have to who are waiting for the other capsule... ;)

Is this meant to be a slight towards me?

What's the projected cost?

Tim Campbell said:

Is this meant to be a slight towards me?

Not at all Tim. wasnt trying to offend anyone actually. I tried contacting you through email a few times and never got any response. So like most newbs do, I started asking other members for info in regards to getting on your wait list. Most of the responses i got back lead me to believe it would be a long time before I got my capsule and that there is a long waiting list becauseyou also produce for manufactures too. So my response is more of a relief that i wont have to wait too long before I can complete my projects with a quality capsule thats all.

What's the projected cost?

Tim,

My projected cost is going to be $350 per capsule not including shipping and Paypal fees.
That's if I can successfully scale my production and keep the consistency in terms of sound..

Eric

Bioman

Send me a pm with your Paypal email and I can send you an invoice.

Eric

Eric, a little later than usual, but I got a chance to listen to your C12 samples. I know you appreciate feedback on those and I agree more members should listen and respond to samples. In the end this is what it's all about. Also, a maker will need both confirmation and possible ways of improvement.
I'll focus on the vocal take for now.

Overall, the vocal take sounds pretty good to me. It's on the bright side, but that's totally normal for a C12. It's a little sibilant, too. At least part of that is due to the lifted treble and as such can get EQ-ed out if need be. But there may also be a non-linear part here which would be a little trickier to remove, although de-essing is a common thing nowadays.

The vocal itself is what I would call a pop/rock voice with some gravel on it. This non-electrical or human made distortion adds some noise or escaping air that doesn't translate in resonating sound. Also, it typically takes away some core or clearly ringing mids, if that makes sense. To compensate for this, one would sooner reach for a K47 type capsule than a CK12 type. This will both add core and attenuate breathiness. On the other hand, one could also choose to highlight rather than compensate, especially since many of such singers actually create this distorted sound (while their speaking voices are a lot cleaner). In the latter case, i.e. if one chooses to highlight, one does have to make sure the track will not drown in the mix. But there are several other ways to achieve that.

Oh, and six inches is a good place to start, but many vocalists will come in a little closer.

In short, it does sound promising, but I'd have to hear more samples (female?). I'm not sure yet about the sibilance thing and, as you may know by now, I'm kinda sensitive to that. What I'd love to hear is an A/B with an original CK12 in the same circuit or, more practical and realistic, an A/B with one of Tim's capsules. That is quite a challenge, but I know you have the guts.

Henk

Thanks for the feedback!! I really do appreciate it. The next steps for me are exactly what you suggested. I happen to live in a great city full of engineers and recording professionals and I am  happy to say I have access to both an original C12 ( a very good one) as well as a Chungador C12 clone that contains one of Tim's capsule. I also was lucky enough to receive an early original brass CK12 capsule that I pulled all of my measurements from.  Side by side testing with some differing sources as well as some frequency sweeps are all in the works I will post some samples of that as well. Once I am confident in the sound I will start producing.

Thanks again!!!

Hi Eric,

Exciting times for you regarding the CK12 project. Congratulations for having the guts to take it on!

Regarding the sound samples, it is hard to judge the quality of the microphone when the samples aren't recorded in an ideal acoustical space. When I listen to your samples I hear a small room that isn't particularly flattering to the source material, though I suspect that the mic and capsule are probably fine.

I don't think that most folks here are limited by their gear so much as by their recording environment. The classic recordings sound great because of the talent, gear, AND the acoustical properties of the room in which the recording takes place. Thanks to you and the other contributors at this forum, good gear has become affordable for anyone with soldering skills.

Kind regards,
Scott

Yup, the room (generic) plays a big part. It's more important than many realize. And as the distance between microphone and source increases, so does the influence of the room, of course. At six inches (vocal sample) the room will already be noticeable. And when recording acoustic guitar, the distance will likely be greater, especially if only one mic is used.

Scott, I have a feeling you have access to a decent room or two ...

Agreed, talent + instrument + room will get you 80% of the way there even with the cheapest recording gear.

That being said:  I like the slightly lifted range of the CK12.  That guitar sounded pretty "midrangey", like a spruce top.  I've often recommended to people that sing (like Wave) right in the midrange that a mid-forward guitar doesn't work as well.  I bet he would sound great playing a mid-scooped guitar like a baby Taylor or something with new strings on a solid mahogany or rosewood body.

For Wave, I'd do the C12 on a mid-scooped guitar up in the 2-ft range in a fairly big (but treated!) room to bring in a nice stereo field.  And then I'd switch to a 47-type for his voice to sit solidly in the mids so that less low-pass filtering is needed.

This can also be compensated easily in the C12 with the "plate cap" taken from the ELAM251 as I've outlined in the C12 thread.  It's even easy to make it switchable by putting the cap in series with a switch and hot glueing it inside the body where it can be switched back and forth to give a slight high cut.  However too drastic of a cut will make the C12 sound bass-heavy and begins to infringe on the 47 territory.

[/quote]

I was lucky enough to get a couple capsules from Tim at the early stages of his manufacturing and got them rather quickly. Trust me. If you had to wait a year, its still worth it.

Hi all,

So I was very lucky to spend an evening in a very cool private studio. The owner has a pretty sick mic collection that included a very very nice AKG c12. It looks and sounds fantastic. We recorded pretty much every source we could C12 against my C12 clone, both mics were recorded the same source at the same time going through some John Hardy pre's in to a Radar recorder. I think they sound pretty darn close! My capsule has a bit more in the high end. :eek: but lacks something in the bottom that I really like in th original. Anyway please tell me waht you all think!!!

These are the fixed clips......

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4v0drg74ynwb5t/x6i18O6VvU

Wow, those sound much closer than I expected. So once again, this is genuine c12 versus Chunger C12 with HK12?

I agree that yours has a bit more high end, but again, I'm surprised how close these are!

Does this test mean you are you done tweaking the capsule, or will you try to dial it in even more?

I really dont know what tranny was in it. The serial number was in the 300's though.

Back