Made in the USA HK67 HK87 HK47 style capsules..AND NOW HK12 !!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey mate,

What's the lead time and price (shipped to Australia) for a U87 capsule? PM me your inbox is full.

Thanks,

Kris

Just a bit of info for those considering Eric's HK-12, they're worth the wait.  To my ears, they really capture the character of the original.  Or, at least, what I look for in a CK12.  Slightly bright and crisp, but without the harshness and grit you hear in many of the CK12s used in expensive production mics these days.  Lows seem to be better contained than in one of the popular offerings too.  (Edit; the above may have been taken the wrong way, I don't want to give the impression that there aren't other good options out there!).  I haven't pulled my vintage brass CK12 to make a direct comparison, but as an owner of both I am very happy to use Eric's capsule and recommend it for those who want to build a mic with a real C12 vibe.

Is there a diagram that shows how to properly connect to an HK12 capsule?  Like which terminals, and which parts those terminals connect with?

Matador said:
Is there a diagram that shows how to properly connect to an HK12 capsule?  Like which terminals, and which parts those terminals connect with?
You shouldn't really need one. It is pretty straight forward and the same as other CK12 types.  You connect the front and rear diaphram by attaching a lead to the membrane ring. There are 2 screws for each backplate, you should be able to attach to either one to connect to the backplate. If it isn't working by connecting in this manner something else wrong.

Tim Campbell said:
Matador said:
You shouldn't really need one. It is pretty straight forward and the same as other CK12 types.  You connect the front and rear diaphram by attaching a lead to the membrane ring. There are 2 screws for each backplate, you should be able to attach to either one to connect to the backplate. If it isn't working by connecting in this manner something else wrong.

There doesn't appear to be a free screw hole on the front/rear membrane ring:  is it safe to unscrew one and use it?

Yes!!! Tim is correct.. Thanks Tim!  ;D

I have always intended to include a simple instruction sheet, but it is DIY.... ::)

I'm so sorry you have an issue with your capsule!! Please pm me or email me at ericheiserman@ Hotmail.com
With a picture.. I personally would rather you do nothing until I see a pic... I simple blastof can air may get rid of it.

Eric

Hi Eric

Just wanted to let you know that I have finally finished my mic builds with your HK47, and the Dale M7 you re-skined for me, and they sound absolutily beautiful. You did a fantastic job.

Thank You!

Dennis

Welcome Dennis!

So, how would you compare the HK47 (double backplate) and Dale M7 (single backplate and glued edges) that was also skinned by Eric? Soundwise, I mean.
I think I have a pretty good idea, but there's nothing like actually using them both yourself.

Henk

Hi Henk
Thank you for the welcome:)

I'm sorry, but I can't really compere the two capsules. They are in two different types of circuits. The HK47 is in a D49, and the M7 in a ECC82 tube-cardiod only type microphone. I have a similar circuit with a Thiersch M7 (Red), and that has beed my favorit capsule for a long time, and the one I compare the rest of my microphones to. The Dale M7 doesn't sound like the Thiersch. It is brighter, and doesn't have the same midrange clarity, but it is a very well sounding capsule on its own.

I find the HK47 a perfect match to the D49 mic build. The hardest thing for me to record has been double bass, and for the first time the full body and presence of the bass was captured. 

Not sure if any of this helps you...

Dennis

Thanks for the kind words!! I'm glad you like the 47... Its my favorite sounding capsule I make..

And Guys please check out my new website when you have the chance..

www.heisermanaudio.com

Please check out Chung's web site.. He can provide you a capsule mount that will work with y capsules 100%

Back