To Sell or not To Sell

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

Monsterchild_zps8830d6ee.jpg

Recently the idea popped into my head...hmmm. What to do.

I can wind those transformers again and I have another set of tubes to do it again. Wish I could pit it against the 670 that inspired it though.

Why it's the PM670 BIG brotha
Monsterchild3_zpsf24bce78.jpg

where did that other knob run off to  :eek:
and  the AOC BIG brotha over to the right  8).

Well the harsh reality is that it probably isn't worth selling.  Larry Janus' Tube Equipment Corp SR71 is a very faithful 670 repro and it sells for $7000.  Drip kits which again are considered authentic can be built for $4K to $5K.  Folks here might know that your version is potentially good but won't spend the money (they are DIYers!) and folks at Gearslutz won't place value on an unbranded design.

I think if you could make a very good argument for it you might raise $1500 to $2K, whether that makes any sense to you is your decision alone.

Good luck.

I wasn't going for authentic, I wanted my version of the 670. One that a builder would build for himself and more than likely only once.

analag said:
I wasn't going for authentic, I wanted my version of the 670. One that a builder would build for himself and more than likely only once.

I know that, I've been a member here for a long time.  You asked whether you should sell it, I answered that the market values branded and authentic copies.  Yours is unique and custom and consequently will not be valued highly by the market, if you were Fred Forssell or Dan Kennedy you would have brand recognition. 

None of this undermines the quality of your unit, I have no idea how it sounds and neither does anyone else.

ruairioflaherty said:
I know that, I've been a member here for a long time.  You asked whether you should sell it, I answered that the market values branded and authentic copies.  Yours is unique and custom and consequently will not be valued highly by the market, if you were Fred Forssell or Dan Kennedy you would have brand recognition.

You must have lived far too long in a purely commercial dimension of the western world where nothing but brand carries any kind of value anymore. It's all too easy to get completely lost in there. Or maybe you were completely deceived by the utilitarian front panels and don't realise what you're looking at.

There are still people out there who appreciate and value true craftsmanship. It might not always be easy to find them.

analag said:
Wrong...mulletchuck heard both compressors shown.

Seriously?  And that changes what I'm saying how?  Why on earth would you ask for feedback on whether to sell and then diss a constructive answer?

Let's say Mulletchuck was blown away with your unit and endorses it.  That changes the value on the general marketplace?

Kingston said:
ruairioflaherty said:

You must have lived far too long in a purely commercial dimension of the western world where nothing but brand carries any kind of value anymore. It's all too easy to get completely lost in there. Or maybe you were completely deceived by the utilitarian front panels and don't realise what you're looking at.

There are still people out there who appreciate and value true craftsmanship. It might not always be easy to find them.

Wow. I offered my opinion based on my experience of buying and selling used gear as an engineer for 18 years.  One of the things I do to make a living is sell high end recording gear to industry pros - brand and trust matter, not to everyone but to most people.  The more people that are interested in your product the higher the potential sales price.

This is a one off unit, with no schematic offered, built by an anonymous internet persona.  Again I know something of Rowan's history but nobody outside this forum does.  Big ticket DIY items languish on the BM and outside of this forum Rowan will be competing with trusted brand names, with support and history.

I'm not deceived by the units' simple front panel, I was here watching the thread as this unit was being built.  I understand what's involved.

Kingston you know nothing about me or what I value so I'd appreciate less of the condescending attitude.

You seem to have an awfully defensive attitude for mere "advise". Like you have a personal stake in this somehow. Reeks of some kind of great disappointment. Based on the field of advise I'd say it was financial.

ruairioflaherty said:
condescending attitude.

If that's the way you saw it, perhaps you were looking at a mirror.

Kingston said:
You seem to have an awfully defensive attitude for mere "advise". Like you have a personal stake in this somehow. Reeks of some kind of great disappointment. Based on the field of advise I'd say it was financial.

I genuinely don't understand what you're saying here? 

I have no stake except for the fact that I value this forum and work hard to give good advice when I have something useful to offer.  Rowan's answer to my first was defensive when I never once questioned the quality of his unit.  Yours called into question my value system when you know nothing about me.

As for condescension I'll leave it to other forum members we've interacted with over the years to decide.

ruairioflaherty said:
I have no stake except for the fact that I value this forum and work hard to give good advice when I have something useful to offer.

I get the defensiveness now. You really dislike it when someone doesn't agree with your gold nuggets. Not to say I haven't already noticed that from earlier interactions. I thought perhaps you were a competing craftsman or something of that sort, based on how much you devalued the originals posters work.

I don't care at all if someone disagrees with my input, that happens all the time.  I do dislike it when they miss the point of input or characterize it as something it is not.

Where did I devalue Rowan's work?  I never said it was badly designed, badly made or worthless - just that the market for used one off designs is small.  Buyers on Gearslutz or Ebay place value on known brands or vintage pieces - rightly or wrongly.  I was trying to offer useful input for Rowan. 

A competing craftsman? That's just ridiculous.  Is Jonte Knif, Larry Janus or any other craftsman worried about the potential sale of a single one off unit?

Anyone who has been here for any length of time knows that I value this community and I particularly value good designs, hard work and well made equipment.

Latest posts

Back