Mic Pres and EQ's by the Ton... But compressors? Its a 500 Series Wasteland!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Soul Rebel

;D :(

its a mixed world of up and down is DIY.

It seems to me that there is a wealth of Mic Pres and EQ's out there in kit/PCB/DIY form, but so few if hardly ANY compressors for the 51X market place.

I guess I have 3 questions:

Firstly... Why? I mean, is there is a specific reason, relating to the complexity, configuring required?, space or form factor?
Secondly... What is... actually out there? (Igor's Mixbuzz, yes, but what else? - Not the rack variety, in 500/51x series I mean)
and Thirdly...is anyone out there working on anything right now?

Regards Y'all... still loving DIY every minute.

(Working on a Sound Skulpture 73 right now and two CAPI VP28's. Looking forward to hearing them).

M

There's a few more...
I've built a pair of both an LA3A and API 525 by Peter Purpose
There are 1176 varieties in 500 series.
Basically FET, bridge or Opto are possible
varimu (tube) is not likely
The Neve designs (33609) have three transformers and would be tight on space

eq's and comps are harder to do period as they require more parts to fit in the same space as mic pre's which usually require much less parts.

maybe someone could do some that corp compressors in the 51X/500 series format

There are plenty of compressors as well...they're just not as much in the spotlight. Why people obsess over microphone preamps i'll never understand.

There actually quite a few...and good ones too. Igor's TG, SSL quad, SSL channel, opto, pultec, 525...the list goes on.

Latest posts

Back