Allen Heath MOD 3 on MOD 2 chassis repair questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capitol K

Hi I've just picked up a Allen Heath - MOD 3 - 1978 unusually it came in a MOD 2 style chassis with the extra plate on the right.
All the insert points for both the Input channels and the group out puts are located it seems on a panel at the back, behind this (work surface / tape control) panel, whilst on the channels itself the space for the inserts is covered with a plastic stopper.

I would like to wire the Insert points back onto the induvidual channels and groups in order that i can cut down the size of the chassis and generally get to a more portable set up.

Would anyone be able to send me detailed pictures of the MOD 3 channels so i can determine the correct wiring ?

I believe some of the channels may have previously come from a SR desk as there are solder remnants from removed link wires on the reverse of the PAD button to rail 1 & 3
Thanks

Kristian

p.s i don't have a camera just now so i can't put up photos just yet.

Capitol K,

If you do in fact have a MOD2 chassis, then the inserts for the input channels will be available on pins 1 and 3 and the output groups should be wired to 9 and 10.  See the attached page.  Hope this helps!

Attachments

• MOD2 Chassis diagram.jpg
    MOD2 Chassis diagram.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for the reply.
That all most makes sense, only the schematic i have for the MOD3 rails 1 & 3 are placed before the pad etc whilst a insert point is clearly indicated before the EQ. ?
I took a look at the external jack panel, there are 24 female 1/4, on the reverse labeled 1 to 16 IN and 1 to 8 out so I guess this is the 16 inserts and 8 group outputs ? and with no inserts on the groups as standard.
I'm guessing this desk was a hybrid between the 2 and the 3 it still has the factory label on it Serial 259.

Other variations: the power input is a 4 pin XLR rather than the standard 5 pin and with pin 4 unattached.
where the "cans" jack would be on the master panel there is a 3 way toggle switch thats goes to the Monitor output and a loose headphone jack perhaps to switch between 2 sets of speakers.
Investigations.

Attachments

• MOD 3 Input .jpg
    MOD 3 Input .jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back