Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Songguy said:
Hi chunger,
I'm looking for a very inexpensive mic capsule to use as a temp until I can afford the peluso.
With that said would your k67 capsule work with ioaudio's mk47.
Thanks,
Chris

Chris...just as a reference, that 35mm K67-type capsule Chunger offers for $30 is the very same capsule implemented in the mic used to track the live vocals here (figure 8 pattern):
http://youtu.be/RSntKwMPz5Y

Wow, I liked that clip. Both sides of the capsule are working alright. Two singers facing each other and no headphones in sight. That's the way.
The vocals are little too thin/bright and sibilant for my liking, though.

micaddict said:
Wow, I liked that clip. Both sides of the capsule are working alright. Two singers facing each other and no headphones in sight. That's the way.

Henk...I like the sound, considering it's captured "unplugged" with little to no processing (he did boost the 2 buss at 10k)...surprisingly balanced recording in figure 8, IMHO...

...as per Joe West, the producer/engineer, "I've attached a link to a video shot of Phoenix Drive, a band that I've been developing. All done live in 1 take out at my barn... Only using Advance Audio mics--> API 3124's-----> Apogee Symphony I/O. Very little processing. No individual eq or compression... Just 2 bus compression and a boost via my analog Manley Pultec up high @ 10K. So U can hear them pretty unprocessed!"

Micaddict,
Thanks for sharing the clip! Really nice sound from a $30 capsule!!

On another note I was wondering if someone could do a quick diagram of how they wired the mk47. More specifically the connection between the 7 pin connector and the microphone. I've been reading the threads and a diagram would really clear up a few things. I'm sure it would be helpful to others as well.
Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chunger.
Any plans to stock the screw on style shockmount that came with the GT-2B, since they fit the u67 bodies as well? They are really nice shockmounts.

Also,  any news on this GT-2B full kit?
I needed to order another GT-2B in China for development reference on my new body, so I should at least have that one sample microphone in the 2nd large shipment when that happens.  I will keep you in mind.

dmp said:
Hi Chunger.
Any plans to stock the screw on style shockmount that came with the GT-2B, since they fit the u67 bodies as well? They are really nice shockmounts.

I needed to order another GT-2B in China for development reference on my new body, so I should at least have that one sample microphone in the 2nd large shipment when that happens.  I will keep you in mind.

They fit the u67 without any mods? That would be awesome

dmp said:
Hi Chunger.

Haven't finalized anything yet, but here is where I am headed.  The GT-2B body will be replaced by a new body with the same internal rail configuration but properly spec'd 3 layer mesh configuration.  The DIY options for this body do not require the use of the stock power supply, so I deemed it a waste of materials and shipping costs to bring in the complete microphone kit for this body.  It is completely possible to bring in additional GT-2B type shock mounts so people can have an option.

Also, due to shipping costs particularly to non-use countries, I am bringing in padded aluminum flight cases, but they will be smaller than the full kit boxes because they will not accommodate the stock power supply which is discarded anyways.  Cases will be designed to hold just the microphone and shock mount. . . actually, 2 microphone bodies and 2 shock mounts.  Cases will be sold separately so people who prefer the cheapest possible shipping weight, size, and cost can have that option.

I am debating whether or not to order large cases that would accommodate the Dan's very nice microphone psu enclosure which is popular for DU67 and mk47 microphone builds.

The same case should fit all of the existing SYT-5 bodies that have been sold.  I have received several inquiries about that.

All of these details are being decided right now, so if you have input, please chime in.

micaddict said:

The sound needed for our particular track required a bit more "bite" and the K67 type capsule does have a lift in the upper registers.  Note, the U67 circuit has built-in treble de-emphasis unlike the OEM based circuit used Stellar's microphones and the mk47.  So, if you are particularly treble averse, this may not be the right capsule.  This particular 35mm capsule does still exhibit some of that treble lift, but is designed and optimized for use in a flat circuit, so perhaps it is a bit tamer than a true vintage reproduction K67 capsule.

That being said, I like the mk47 microphone paired with this capsule even though it is "wrong".  Technicalities  ;D

I have a u67 using dans case for the psu, and a second in the works. You can count me in on two full cases, as long as the price isn't outrageous, of course. Maybe a feeler thread, once you find the appropriate case? I planned on sourcing out some cases for my mics anyways, once I finish my second 67.

chunger said:
I am debating whether or not to order large cases that would accommodate the Dan's very nice microphone psu enclosure which is popular for DU67 and mk47 microphone builds.

The same case should fit all of the existing SYT-5 bodies that have been sold.  I have received several inquiries about that.

All of these details are being decided right now, so if you have input, please chime in.

...I have used these aluminum utility cases for multiple mics and accessories...they have "pick/pluck foam" as well as hard dividers, and the tool holder in the lid is removeable revealing more foam lining...easy to detail for your particular use, and relatively inexpensive (usually under $30):

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-12-34-x-6-aluminum-case-69318.html

Attachments

• image_21296.jpg
    image_21296.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 19
kidvybes said:
chunger said:

...I have used these aluminum utility cases for multiple mics and accessories...they have "pick/pluck foam" as well as hard dividers, and the tool holder in the lid is removeable revealing more foam lining...easy to detail for your particular use, and relatively inexpensive (usually under $30):

...here's the same inexpensive Harbor Freight aluminum case set up to accommodate a tube mic with larger PSU (pic courtesy of Revive Audio)...more pics: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281084005265

Attachments

• AluminumCase.JPG
    AluminumCase.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 28
These are a good find.  Does Harbor Freight have warehouse and distribution in Europe?  That would help the folks across the pond.  I feel really bad about the shipping costs for these heavy items to our friends over there.

kidvybes said:
kidvybes said:
chunger said:

Thanks for sharing!

...here's the same inexpensive Harbor Freight aluminum case set up to accommodate a tube mic with larger PSU (pic courtesy of Revive Audio)...

chunger said:
These are a good find.  Does Harbor Freight have warehouse and distribution in Europe?  That would help the folks across the pond.  I feel really bad about the shipping costs for these heavy items to our friends over there.

...they don't list any international locations on their website, but it might be a good idea for someone in Europe to try googling the product description locally to see if anyone's offering them overseas...these very same cases were previously available in Lowes and Home Depot (that's where I purchased mine), so they are not an exclusive item...

...a quick search on eBay UK revealed:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Flight-case-camera-lens-valuables-microphones-delicates-remote-control-/221204982239
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-FLIGHT-CASE-FOR-TOOLS-CAMERAS-MUSICAL-INSTRUMENTS-PICK-N-PLUCK-FOAM-/121080726886
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-FLIGHT-CASE-Microphone-Camera-Silver-400-x-240-x-125mm-Foam-Insert-NEW-/360610344030
...and many more options...

Volume11 said:
Thanks for sharing!

...glad to contribute  ;)

kidvybes said:

i bought one of these cases for my ioaudio MK7 build and while they are o.k. the foam in it is very soft and offers little support.  i ordered slightly better pick and pluck foam from Foam Factory and will let you know how it goes.  The case also has two metal brackets which hold the drop down tool holder flap on the inside of the lid which is attached to the same "rivet" button which holds the lid latch.  when i tried to remove the two brackets it weakened the latch a bit.  will need to replace the rivet in the future.
-grant

p.s. Chunger i emailed you but thought i'd post here too.  i would like to buy a couple of dany's switch pcbs for the SYT-5 bodies but did not see it in the store. do you still carry them?  thanks!

dissonantstring said:
i bought one of these cases for my ioaudio MK7 build and while they are o.k. the foam in it is very soft and offers little support.  i ordered slightly better pick and pluck foam from Foam Factory and will let you know how it goes.

...in that case, they offer an even cheaper version w/o foam (provide your own), just dividers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-13-x-6-aluminum-case-69315.html

Attachments

• image_21232.jpg
    image_21232.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 9
I've used the harbor freight cases for tube mics and am very happy with them.
They even put them on sale frequently for an even better deal.

Per requests here, I am changing specs on the new bodies. . . the GT-2B and SYT-5 use a M26 thread base for the bottom cap as well as shockmount.  The new factory I'm dealing with standardizes on M24 for the bottom of their mics.  I'm working on getting specs for my mics changed to M26 to be backwards compatible and use a single threaded shock mount.  Depending on how difficult the change will be, I may end up still going to the smaller M24 threaded base.

Shifts like this eat into development time, but I'd rather get all the details right the first time around even if it will be a bit longer lead time for the 1st production run.

My factory contact informs me that we are close to having prototypes to verify compatibility with all existing kits.

Back