Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volume11 said:
Do you have more syt-5 bodies arriving soon? I just started ordering parts for another d67

No, modifications to the design are being finalized and I will need to confirm all kits are compatible with the body before production run can begin.  This will take some time.  I was hoping stock of SYT-5 bodies would hold out longer to allow for continuous supply during this development cycle, but unfortunately, I have run out of stock on the original batch.  There is a chance some B-stock may be available, but these are being held for the time being for a few kit developers.

We just made another change to the design today which will delay the prototype again.  2 months would be the earliest I can see bodies being back in stock.  I am, however ordering greater quantities this time, so they should remain in stock longer.  Pricing should also move in a favorable direction.

Silver Teflon hookup wire kits have been added to the webstore.

p1505878974-4.jpg

p1505879148-4.jpg

p1505879290-4.jpg

chunger said:
Per requests here, I am changing specs on the new bodies. . . the GT-2B and SYT-5 use a M26 thread base for the bottom cap as well as shockmount.  The new factory I'm dealing with standardizes on M24 for the bottom of their mics.  I'm working on getting specs for my mics changed to M26 to be backwards compatible and use a single threaded shock mount.  Depending on how difficult the change will be, I may end up still going to the smaller M24 threaded base.

Shifts like this eat into development time, but I'd rather get all the details right the first time around even if it will be a bit longer lead time for the 1st production run.

My factory contact informs me that we are close to having prototypes to verify compatibility with all existing kits.

OK let me lift out a couple keywords here.
"new factory"
"standardizes"
"compatible"
"base"

While you/they are at it, how about looking at the other end of the mics, too? I'm quite fond of the big, two-layer mesh, tapered headbasket of the the SYT-5. But the 47-ish cylindrical one on the GT-2B has its good points, too. The SYT-5 body is tapered while the GT-2B is not, but where the sleeves meet the heads they are sort of close in diameter, if I'm not mistaken. Is there any chance the two headbaskets could be made compatible for both bodies. This would open up more possibilities for DIY projects. Like a long body with switches and a cylindrical head, or a short body without switches and a tapered, more transparent head (e.g. nice for poctop's straight M49 PCB; just one example of many).

Yeah, not as easy as it seems on paper, probably.
On the other hand, now's the chance.

The wheels are turning very quickly behind the scenes right now.  I will post pertinent milestone developments here as they come as well as updated timeframes for delivery.  The plan was originally to do all of this while the 1st batch of microphones was comfortably in stock, but interest has been quite a few notches higher than expected.

No need to "cobble" together bodies for various projects.  Once I get a smooth workflow going with the metal factory, development liaison, and Q/C representative on the factory floor in China, I should be able to start from clean sheet and do proper justice to projects like poctop's M49, but there are already developments along those lines state-side.  If those pan out, it may not be necessary to expend the effort in that direction.

For right now, I'm hoping the next batch of mics will carry improvements all around, and I hope to turn my attention towards a km84 project in collaboration with Matador that will involve a "clean-sheet" new body.

Any chance that you could do another order exactly like the first, while you are developing this redesign?
The GT-2B and SYT-5 particularly, as they seem to be in high demand.
Since we're getting the pcb sets from Poctop and eager to build mics!

chunger said:
The wheels are turning very quickly behind the scenes right now.  I will post pertinent milestone developments here as they come as well as updated timeframes for delivery.  The plan was originally to do all of this while the 1st batch of microphones was comfortably in stock, but interest has been quite a few notches higher than expected.

No need to "cobble" together bodies for various projects.  Once I get a smooth workflow going with the metal factory, development liaison, and Q/C representative on the factory floor in China, I should be able to start from clean sheet and do proper justice to projects like poctop's M49, but there are already developments along those lines state-side.  If those pan out, it may not be necessary to expend the effort in that direction.

For right now, I'm hoping the next batch of mics will carry improvements all around, and I hope to turn my attention towards a km84 project in collaboration with Matador that will involve a "clean-sheet" new body.
Can you describe some of the changes/difference you're designing with the factory? Maybe turning the SYT-5 into a 3-layer? Making the GT-2B closer to a U47? I bought a Beesneez K7 in anticipation of building a D-U47fet, but looks like I wont be able to get a body from you until the new batch...

Also, what is this KM84 project? I'm extremely intrigued. For a month or two, I've been trying to figure out the best way one might build a KM84 clone. KK84 capsules are indeed still available from Neumann, so it would just be a matter of cloning the circuit, transformer (maybe Oliver already makes one?), and body.

Are you still doing a 251 headbasket?

dmp said:
Any chance that you could do another order exactly like the first, while you are developing this redesign?

No, the minimum order quantity from original factory for SYT-5 is 100 units and 50 units for the GT-2B, and inside the development/production cycle for the same style bodies, I simply do not have enough liquid capital to purchase an interim shipment.  Also, there will likely be a SIGNIFICANT price decrease on the new bodies when they come in, so I would likely be stuck with a large inventory of microphones when the new ones come online or, I would simply have to delay rolling out the new bodies until the interim batch is sold.  As it stands, if the factory is indeed close to finishing prototypes right now, there is only a few weeks time difference between ordering again just like the first shipment and moving to the new bodies.

I understand that many people are frustrated with delaying their projects, but I was never happy with the price-point of the SYT-5 and GT-2B on the first shipment of microphones, and I intend to improve on that.

The headbaskets will be 3 layer much closer to the vintage originals.

2 layer headbaskets for ELA M251 builds on the HT-11A have already been prototyped, confirmed, and the order placed for production at volume.  Matador is working on doing a sample build of the ELA-type circuit right now on the current C12 pcb set.

p1456897054-4.jpg

Looks promising, chunger.  :)
And good things take time. I believe it's a good decision to get it right first.

I was never happy with the price-point of the SYT-5 and GT-2B on the first shipment of microphones, and I intend to improve on that.
That's good news, too.
FWIW, someone on the the Gearslutz forum quoted $88 for the GT-2B or HT-11A plus case, directly, if not bought in serious bulk. Don't know if that makes sense.

micaddict said:
Looks promising, chunger.  :)
And good things take time. I believe it's a good decision to get it right first.

I was never happy with the price-point of the SYT-5 and GT-2B on the first shipment of microphones, and I intend to improve on that.
That's good news, too.
FWIW, someone on the the Gearslutz forum quoted $88 for the GT-2B or HT-11A plus case, directly, if not bought in serious bulk. Don't know if that makes sense.

I would jump all over that deal then at Gearslutz because that is well below the price I paid to the factory before any shipping logistics at quantity of 100 units.  That is a seriously good price.  This guy must have level 11 negotiating skills!

He's not offering them (the term "quoted" may have suggested that; excuse my English).
And I'm staying here anyway. 8)
This here group is the place to be for mic addicts like myself. 2013 could be even better than 2012.

If the new SYT-5 headbaskets will be vintage-correct 3 layer mesh, will they be compatible with the first round SYT-5 bodies? And would you consider ordering a small quantity of extra headbaskets for those of us who already have one?

Dylan W said:
If the new SYT-5 headbaskets will be vintage-correct 3 layer mesh, will they be compatible with the first round SYT-5 bodies? And would you consider ordering a small quantity of extra headbaskets for those of us who already have one?

No guarantees of cross compatibility between the 2 bodies and headbaskets.  The new body will have to accomodate the same switch pcb in the kits, so it might be possible, but the safe assumption would be no.

Right now, I do not have spares of the switches, but I do have 3 pin XLR inserts.  Among other difficulties, the factory failed to deliver the spare switches I had requested with the first batch order, so I only have enough switches to go with the microphone bodies.

When the 2nd shipment of microphones comes or possibly when the verification prototypes are sent over, I will make sure I am well stocked on spare small parts like these switches and inserts both 3 pin and 7 pin.

JessJackson said:
hi, how can i order the three switches and the 3 pin XLR insert?

Cheers

chunger said:
Volume11 said:
Do you have more syt-5 bodies arriving soon? I just started ordering parts for another d67

No, modifications to the design are being finalized and I will need to confirm all kits are compatible with the body before production run can begin.  This will take some time.  I was hoping stock of SYT-5 bodies would hold out longer to allow for continuous supply during this development cycle, but unfortunately, I have run out of stock on the original batch.  There is a chance some B-stock may be available, but these are being held for the time being for a few kit developers.

We just made another change to the design today which will delay the prototype again.  2 months would be the earliest I can see bodies being back in stock.  I am, however ordering greater quantities this time, so they should remain in stock longer.  Pricing should also move in a favorable direction.

Chunger I just purchased my SYT-5 body recently and have not begun my U87 build because I'm still waiting on my Hakko FX888D to arrive. With that being said, should I continue with the soon to be "generation 1" body? will I be missing out on any major or substantial elements to make this an easier or more efficient build? any improvements to sound quality due to the new head basket? If so can I return my body I just purchased at this point since it is brand new and unused?

Also, after combing thru your u87 photo build which will be a big help I have a couple questions in regards to parts for the build. You used some hardware that you mentioned wasn't quite proper to connect the switch pcb, what would be the proper hardware and sizes? You used some brass bar to mount your transformer to the body. Do you supply that piece? If not what specific type of brass bar and what hardware store?

Last, you used a 6mm height screw to raise the height of capsule which actually made the mic look more authentic and for my application (which is vocals) should sound better based on mic positioning, where did you source that piece?

I should mention that I went to Home depot and showed the pics of the hardware but everyone looked at me strange and said that they only carried regular size hardware...So this is why I am asking for the source of your parts not included in the kit

Thanks
G

Toure14 said:
Chunger I just purchased my SYT-5 body recently and have not begun my U87 build because I'm still waiting on my Hakko FX888D to arrive. With that being said, should I continue with the soon to be "generation 1" body? will I be missing out on any major or substantial elements to make this an easier or more efficient build? any improvements to sound quality due to the new head basket? If so can I return my body I just purchased at this point since it is brand new and unused?

Also, after combing thru your u87 photo build which will be a big help I have a couple questions in regards to parts for the build. You used some hardware that you mentioned wasn't quite proper to connect the switch pcb, what would be the proper hardware and sizes? You used some brass bar to mount your transformer to the body. Do you supply that piece? If not what specific type of brass bar and what hardware store?

Last, you used a 6mm height screw to raise the height of capsule which actually made the mic look more authentic and for my application (which is vocals) should sound better based on mic positioning, where did you source that piece?

I should mention that I went to Home depot and showed the pics of the hardware but everyone looked at me strange and said that they only carried regular size hardware...So this is why I am asking for the source of your parts not included in the kit

The build procedure should not change at all with the Gen. 2 body.  All of the critical frame rail dimensions and screw holes are the same.  No additional hardware is required to mount the switch pcb.  The 3 plastic standoffs are the correct length and 3 12mm M2 screws are included to mount the switch pcb.  When I did my U87 build, I had to mount the switch pcb with whatever hardware I had available.  Now, the proper parts are included in the kit.

You will need additional M2 screws to mount the pcb's to the frame rails.  I fabricated my bracket for the T13 transformer with a piece of brass bar sourced from a local ACE hardware store, but any sheet metal that is thin enough to bend with pliers would work.  You can get a piece of aluminum sheet for roof flashing and cut it with tin snips to make the bracket if brass bar stock is not available locally.

I am still waiting for the prototype of the Gen 2 body to be finalized.  There is a chance this prototype will have dimensional problems that I have not accounted for and the kit will not be compatible.  If that is the case, there will be additional delays.  As for the headbasket difference between the SYT-5 body and the original U87, I do not find the more open mesh configuration of the SYT-5 problematic.  It is certainly different, but in our studio, we have both vintage original U87's and clones.  The clones are a bit more open with a bit more open top end.  I suspect the headbasket contributes to this sonic difference among many other differences in capsule, transformer, and electronic components.  Sometimes, we use the vintage mic . . .sometimes, we use the clone.  It all depends on the source.  The clone U87  as built in my photo thread has been outstanding in production use.

If you wish to sell your microphone body, I suggest posting in the Black Market section and email me your thread.  There are several people who have inquired about buying bodies after I ran out of stock, and I am certain you would be able to sell it without problem quickly.  If you are in Europe, it would not make much sense shipping it back across the pond.  If you experience any difficulty whatsoever, I can take the body back no problem.

any improvements to sound quality due to the new head basket?

There are pros and cons to just about anything in life.

And the proof is in the pudding.

No one has heard the two versions side by side, yet (save chunger maybe, if he has a prototype). For the time being, let me give my take on this.

First, the number of mesh layers. Three used to be the way to go (in most cases), but that was in the days before popfilters. The U67 was designed to be pop friendly. The 40 Hz high pass filter (S2 jumper) in the circuit is another measure they took to achieve this. The U67 is probably the best LDC for close approach of its day and arguably of all time. For distant recording, the C12 was/is amazing. Interestingly, that classic microphone has only one mesh layer on the basket. This allows for extra transparency, but cons can be popping, capsule contamination and RF problems.

Then to shape and size. Many seem to assume that the U67 headbasket was designed to achieve a certain sound. I'm not so sure about that. By using the wedged or trapezium shape, they obviously and clearly left the cylindrical shape of the U47 grill (as already done in the fatter M49). Rectangle as well as round spaces are known to have far from ideal acoustic properties (standing waves, focusing and such). In any case, there'll be peaks and valleys in the frequency response. So my theory is that Neumann wanted to minimize coloration rather than enhance it.
Still, a three layer basket will leave a pretty enclosed space, so some coloration will remain.

Now on to the SYT-5. The first version has a two layer mesh headbasket. In this day and age, especially with popfilters (one or two layers extra!) being used, I believe that is a very good compromise. Pretty transparent and no fear of RF. Hey , maybe that's why they say "one is lonely, two is company and three is a crowd".  ;)
But of course want we want to do here is "clone" the U67 which would imply using a three layer grill.
However, the basket on the SYT-5 is considerably larger than the one on a U67. So if the basket adds coloration, it will not be the correct coloration. In that case, or until we get something in the correct size, I think I'd rather have a less closed basket with less of a sonic footprint, if that makes sense.

Just some food for thought an an attempt to make you appreciate what you already have.  :)

But I'll repeat, the proof is in the pudding.

Cant wait for this mate!

can they do the back half of the mesh in black????!!!

chunger said:
dmp said:

No, the minimum order quantity from original factory for SYT-5 is 100 units and 50 units for the GT-2B, and inside the development/production cycle for the same style bodies, I simply do not have enough liquid capital to purchase an interim shipment.  Also, there will likely be a SIGNIFICANT price decrease on the new bodies when they come in, so I would likely be stuck with a large inventory of microphones when the new ones come online or, I would simply have to delay rolling out the new bodies until the interim batch is sold.  As it stands, if the factory is indeed close to finishing prototypes right now, there is only a few weeks time difference between ordering again just like the first shipment and moving to the new bodies.

I understand that many people are frustrated with delaying their projects, but I was never happy with the price-point of the SYT-5 and GT-2B on the first shipment of microphones, and I intend to improve on that.

The headbaskets will be 3 layer much closer to the vintage originals.

2 layer headbaskets for ELA M251 builds on the HT-11A have already been prototyped, confirmed, and the order placed for production at volume.  Matador is working on doing a sample build of the ELA-type circuit right now on the current C12 pcb set.

p1456897054-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back