Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JessJackson said:
Cant wait for this mate!

can they do the back half of the mesh in black????!!!

These headbaskets will be delivered in polished nickel plate.  If you want to powder coat or paint the headbaskets, you will need to bead blast, mask,  and coat them yourself.  Trying to keep all of the costs reasonable.

chunger said:
Right now, I do not have spares of the switches, but I do have 3 pin XLR inserts.  Among other difficulties, the factory failed to deliver the spare switches I had requested with the first batch order, so I only have enough switches to go with the microphone bodies.

When the 2nd shipment of microphones comes or possibly when the verification prototypes are sent over, I will make sure I am well stocked on spare small parts like these switches and inserts both 3 pin and 7 pin.

JessJackson said:
hi, how can i order the three switches and the 3 pin XLR insert?

Cheers

Thanks, I'm finding it really hard to de-solder the switches from the original factory board and broke one in the process.

Is there a BOM for the switch or similar on mouser? I would need all three.

great news about the insert!.. :) How can I go about getting that inset from you

The build procedure should not change at all with the Gen. 2 body.  All of the critical frame rail dimensions and screw holes are the same.  No additional hardware is required to mount the switch pcb.  The 3 plastic standoffs are the correct length and 3 12mm M2 screws are included to mount the switch pcb.  When I did my U87 build, I had to mount the switch pcb with whatever hardware I had available.  Now, the proper parts are included in the kit.

You will need additional M2 screws to mount the pcb's to the frame rails.  I fabricated my bracket for the T13 transformer with a piece of brass bar sourced from a local ACE hardware store, but any sheet metal that is thin enough to bend with pliers would work.  You can get a piece of aluminum sheet for roof flashing and cut it with tin snips to make the bracket if brass bar stock is not available locally.

I am still waiting for the prototype of the Gen 2 body to be finalized.  There is a chance this prototype will have dimensional problems that I have not accounted for and the kit will not be compatible.  If that is the case, there will be additional delays.  As for the headbasket difference between the SYT-5 body and the original U87, I do not find the more open mesh configuration of the SYT-5 problematic.  It is certainly different, but in our studio, we have both vintage original U87's and clones.  The clones are a bit more open with a bit more open top end.  I suspect the headbasket contributes to this sonic difference among many other differences in capsule, transformer, and electronic components.  Sometimes, we use the vintage mic . . .sometimes, we use the clone.  It all depends on the source.  The clone U87  as built in my photo thread has been outstanding in production use.

If you wish to sell your microphone body, I suggest posting in the Black Market section and email me your thread.  There are several people who have inquired about buying bodies after I ran out of stock, and I am certain you would be able to sell it without problem quickly.  If you are in Europe, it would not make much sense shipping it back across the pond.  If you experience any difficulty whatsoever, I can take the body back no problem.
[/quote]

Not looking to sale my body I actually want another. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything new since I basically fell into this gap of just purchasing a gen1 body versus knowing the gen2 bodies are on the way.

In all honesty It seems most of the flaws have been worked out and dealt with with the gen1 body so for a newb this body should be easier to get help with seeing as so many have dealt with it already.

Thanks

I would love:

(1) ShuaiYin SYT-5 (U67/87 type) microphone body kit $165

thanks, Chunger

-dr

Hello dr,

Unfortunately, we are sold out of the first run SYT-5 bodies right now.  The Gen 2 bodies are in process, but it will be a couple of months before I get them in hand.

I'm also very interested in the new "Head Basket" & definitely will buy 2-4.

Also, Do you have any GT-2B in stock to sell?
I don't see them on your site but they are on the Forum.
Please let me know either way & if you don't have them in stock, when?

Thanks

Hi Chung,

I ordered a k67 capsule about 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday I was told that it went on Saturday 2-3 day priority mail. I have not received it yet. Could you please send me an update?

Best,
Chris

Songguy said:
Hi Chung,

I ordered a k67 capsule about 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday I was told that it went on Saturday 2-3 day priority mail. I have not received it yet. Could you please send me an update?

Best,
Chris

The order was shipped 3/29 . . . It looks like there has been a tracking update 4/7 in the San Francisco sort facility.  I presume something held up the package for a few days.  I will monitor the tracking information and hopefully it will land on the east coast soon and update again.

Hi, you shipped  the stuff  3 /14 nothing arrived yet.  More than 4 weeks to Germany .??No tracking outside US. Please check ..best regards thanks

Good job on those headbaskets. Hope they'll be in soon, really would like to see one on my china mic.

la-2a said:
Hi, you shipped  the stuff  3 /14 nothing arrived yet.  More than 4 weeks to Germany .??No tracking outside US. Please check ..best regards thanks

Did you email me today regarding your order?  I will get a new shipment to you ASAP and file a claim with USPS.  This is well past the 6-8 days the packages usually take to arrive.

chunger said:
la-2a said:

Did you email me today regarding your order?  I will get a new shipment to you ASAP and file a claim with USPS.  This is well past the 6-8 days the packages usually take to arrive.

Sometimes the packages stick at german customs. Depending on the energy of the customs employees, the delay can be several weeks. I got packages from the USA, who spend 8 weeks Holiday in a rack at the local Customs, before they send me a notice.

Best
Wolfgang

...since Chunger is currently out of the Alctron GT-2B, anybody looking for a pair of cheap donor mics that appear to be of similar proportion (only with angled headbaskets) might want to make an offer on these I just saw up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-Condenser-Mics-/140953960783

...(not my auction btw)...just thought I'd share... ;)

Attachments

• $T2eC16FHJHYFFkTNGhwyBRZ3gwv7qw~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16FHJHYFFkTNGhwyBRZ3gwv7qw~~60_3.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 55
Hello chunger,

May I ask for a roughly estimated availability time for the ShuaiYin SYT-5 (U67/87 type) please?

Thank you in advance,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
Hello chunger,

May I ask for a roughly estimated availability time for the ShuaiYin SYT-5 (U67/87 type) please?

Thank you in advance,

Udo.

I am uncertain still about the time-frame for this. . . the factory has the headbasket/body set up for me, but we are tweaking the internal rails still.  We will likely have a prototype within a week but I will have to confirm that all kits fit in the new body.  Once confirmed, I will place an order immediately for a production run.

If all goes well and the current prototype trajectory is good (we don't have to start over), the earliest I can see having these finished is 1 month.

Thank you the fast reply!
Hopefully I can start building some further mics during summer holidays.

Best regards,

Udo.

This might not be the place to ask this so please direct me to the correct place if I'm not in the right place:

I have two GT-2Bs.  I'm trying to change the tube for a 6072a.  I can't seem to get enough of the solder off to remove the tube.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to do this?  I've tried braid, a solder sucker, and even a heat gun.  I've got to get this darn tube out so I can do the rest of the mod.  Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back