Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winetree said:
Got 3 of the C-12 parts kits when the 1uf cap was not an option.
What cap do you use and where do I get one to try out?

I'm using the Erse Audio Pulse X caps sourced directly from them.  I have a bunch of other capacitors on-hand for testing, but have not had a chance to experiment with them.  The Erse seems to be working quite well and I am trying to determine difference between the AMI T14 and Cinemag 2480 right now so I am running the .56uF Erse in my prototypes currently.

Caps that fit.

Solen MKP-FC 1uf 630V
Solen MKP-FC .56uf 630V
Mundorf Mcap ZN .68uf 250V (barely fits)
Mundorf MKP 1.5uf 400V
Mundorf MKP 1uf 400V
Mundorf MKP .56uf 400V
Sonicap Gen II .68uf 600V
Sonicap Gen I 1uf 1uf 200V
Erse .56uf 630V
Erse 1uf 630V

Caps that might fit with a bit of modding/cutting on PCB (barely too big to fit)

Sonicap Gen II .82uf 600V
V-cap OIMP 1uf 250V

Hey chunger,

Not sure if your inbox is full or not but I sent you a message or two,

Thanks
Tskguy

Chunger - I'd like to get on the waitlist for the u87 body and/or kit if that is in the cards.  Very excited reading this thread so many thanks in advance for the huge undertaking on this build.

Custom headbaskets will be shipping by air.  I have been getting a lot of pressure from anxious people for these headbaskets, so I shipped them all by air.  They should arrive in the next couple of days.

A note for people planning their builds.

The next shipment of HT-11A bodies will include the modified headbasket and will cost $190.  So, if you are planning to by my body when they come back in stock, it is best NOT to pre-order a headbasket at this time.  If you already have a body from the first batch or are using Apex 460 or Carvin or other donor body for the C12 build, feel free to order headbaskets as soon as they come in stock.

SYT-5 and GT-2B revision 2 bodies are still at the prototyping stage.  I should be getting first prototypes soon on these are ready and will post pictures and report back if all current microphone kits fit these bodies.

Hey Chunger,

Do you still have plans of offering the full turnkey C12 kit,  complete with tubes,  transformers,  Tim's capsule?  Last I checked we were waiting to see if Tim was going to alter the capsule?  Just wondering if this is still looking like it will happen.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi,

I'd like to be put on a list for the ShuaiYin SYT-5 (U67/87 type) microphone body kit. Do you know when you will be expecting them? I'd like to purchase 2 kits.  :)

Bhudie said:
Hey Chunger,

Do you still have plans of offering the full turnkey C12 kit,  complete with tubes,  transformers,  Tim's capsule?  Last I checked we were waiting to see if Tim was going to alter the capsule?  Just wondering if this is still looking like it will happen.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hello Aaron,

The testing we have been conducting with Tim's capsule in stock form have been going well.  Originally, we had hoped he would be able to build up the microphone and give an opinion on optimization, but he has not had the spare time to build up the mic kit I sent him. . . the increase in capsule demand generated from this project probably doesn't help  :eek: .

I just ordered a bulk of NOS 6072A tubes from Christian Whitmore.  Once the new batch of donor microphones arrives, we should be able to offer everything except for the capsule.  That's pretty darn close to a full kit.  It will take a bit of time for me to recover enough financially from the large China order to buy a quantity of Tim's capsules.  Once those are in hand, full kits will be available. . . probably 6-10 of them initially.  After that, I will have to figure out the logistics of keeping them in stock.

Chunger,

That sounds great!  I can get myself on Tim's list on my own.  I'll put myself on your list as well for the full turn key package minus the capsul,  if you are keeping a list ;)

Looking forward to the next update.

Keep up the good work!

Aaron

Category 5 said:
Still can't get on Tim's list after over 3 weeks of trying.  He must be really backed up.

I would stay persistent until he responds and indicates that you have a spot in line.  Persistent, but keep in mind he probably responds to emails in batches every 3 or 4 days.  Once you are in the build queue, there is no need for further contact as Tim will update and invoice you when the capsule is near completion.  At least that's how it went for me.

You might with to try using a different email account just in case his spam filter is kicking your emails to his spam folder?

Latest posts

Back